honors + affiliations
Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, Northern, and Eastern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth, and Federal Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
Brett M. Schuman is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Intellectual Property and Litigation Practices and leader of the Palo Alto and San Francisco Litigation Groups. Mr. Schuman focuses his practice on patent and other IP litigation in all of the federal and state courts in California, the Eastern District of Texas, the Eastern District of Virginia, and the District of Delaware. He handles patent cases on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants across the technology industry.
In 2013, Mr. Schuman served as first-chair trial counsel for the defense of firm client Cisco Systems, Inc. in a patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation and fraud case in the District of Delaware. Following a two-week jury trial and post-trial motions on claims seeking in excess of $500 million in damages, the judgment awarded the plaintiff just $33,000 in damages.
Throughout his career, Mr. Schuman's significant IP representations include serving as lead partner in patent infringement litigation involving multiple patents relating to wireless internet access and functionality. He has been lead partner on cases involving multiple semiconductor patents. In addition, Mr. Schuman has handled patent infringement and other IP cases involving key technologies in other industries, such as pharmaceuticals. He also has been lead counsel in several litigations involving patent license agreements.
Prior to joining private practice, Mr. Schuman served as a law clerk to Justice Alan B. Handler of the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey.
Mr. Schuman is admitted to practice in California and before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, Northern, and Eastern Districts of California; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas; the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware; the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth, and Federal Circuits; and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Served as lead trial and litigation counsel for Cisco in patent, trade secret and fraud case in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
- Served as lead counsel for a semiconductor company Atmel Corporation in several cases asserting patent infringement pending in the Eastern District of Texas, the Eastern District of Virginia, and the Central and Northern Districts of California.
- Served as lead counsel to a prominent company in the wireless mobile phone and cloud computing space in patent infringement and other litigation in the Northern District of California and the District of Nevada.
- Member of a Morgan Lewis team that obtained $130 million judgment in favor of ActiveVideo Networks against Verizon in patent infringement case tried in the Eastern District of Virginia, and obtained affirmance of judgment on appeal.
- Served as lead counsel to multiple high-tech companies in multiple patent infringement litigation pending in the Eastern District of Texas and the Northern District of Illinois.
- Served as lead appellate counsel to an accused infringer on appeal to the Federal Circuit; obtained affirmation of a judgment of noninfringement in a patent case involving a method for selecting the color of artificial teeth.
- Architect of a successful summary judgment motion in a case seeking more than $500 million in damages from a leading high-tech company accused of trade secret misappropriation.
- Served as lead counsel to a high-tech company in an inventorship dispute; secured favorable settlement of claims by the plaintiff to be the true inventor of the client's IP; client retained exclusive rights to disputed patent.
- Served as lead counsel to a national laboratory conglomerate threatened with injunction and shutdown in a dispute over key technology; successfully resolved claims for copyright infringement.
- Served as appellate counsel to an international pharmaceutical company in a case asserting patent infringement against generic drug company; obtained affirmance of finding of patent infringement.
- Harvard Law School, 1996, J.D.
- University of Michigan, 1993, B.A.