honors + affiliations
Listed, PLC Which Lawyer? (2009)
Listed, Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Real Estate Lawyers
Legend Business Center
Tsvetnoy Bulvar, 2
Moscow 127051 Russian Federation
Dmitry Kunitsa is an international partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Kunitsa regularly handles real estate development, investment projects, and nearly all types of contemporary real estate transactions. He also has experience in the hospitality and sports/entertainment industries.
Mr. Kunitsa advises institutional and private investors on structuring and implementing complex, cross-border transactions aimed at the acquisition or disposition of real estate; representing major Western and Russian companies in wide varieties of real estate transactions in Russia and other jurisdictions with similar legal systems; advising lenders and borrowers on real estate financing and refinancing matters; representing private companies in negotiations with governmental authorities of all levels; assisting private companies with all aspects of development and construction of their production facilities in Russia; and providing legal advice on regulatory aspects of real estate transactions.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Kunitsa was a partner in the real estate practice of another international law firm and the head of its Russia real estate practice.
Mr. Kunitsa earned his M.C.L. from the University of Alabama in 1993, focusing his studies on U.S. corporate law, antitrust, business transactions, and corporate finance. He graduated, with honors, from Kazan State University in 1992. He is fluent in English and Russian.
Mr. Kunitsa is eligible to practice in the Russian Federation.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
- Represented a Japanese heavy machinery manufacturer in negotiations with the government of one of the Russian regions over an investment agreement concerning the development of a manufacturing facility, acquisition of project land plot, negotiations of the general contractor agreement, and documents on financing of the project by international banking institution.
- Advised a Russian development company on a wide range of matters related to the development of a $1.5 billion sports, entertainment, and commercial complex in the City of Moscow.
- Represented a major Russian commercial bank in negotiations with various federal agencies regarding the proposed sale of a land plot located in London and owned by the Russian government.
- Advised a leading Russian commercial bank in the complex financing of the sale of real property mortgaged to the bank.
- Represented a Europe-based private investment group in the acquisition of an equity stake in a joint venture for the development of mixed-use commercial property in the City of Sochi, the host of 2014 Winter Olympic Games.
- Advised a major U.S. corporation on a wide range of matters related to the acquisition of development rights for construction of an industrial plant and relevant construction permits.
- Represented a Russian real estate development company on a complex swap transaction aimed at the acquisition of a land plot owned by the Russian government.
- Advised an international project development and investment corporation in connection with the proposed financing of the construction of a mixed-use commercial property in the City of Sochi, including negotiations and discussions with the developer and the Sochi city government on legal aspects of the project.
- Represented a U.S.-based private multinational company and a Japanese corporation on selection of sites for the development and construction of their production facilities in various special economic zones (federal and regional) in Russia.
- Advised a transnational corporation on complex Russian real estate matters including operation of seaport territories and so-called "newly built territories" in connection with the proposed construction of new cargo terminal.
- Represented several Europe-based investment funds on Russian real estate matters in connection with the refinancing of prior acquisitions in Moscow and St. Petersburg.
- Advised a major Russia-based airline in negotiations with regional authorities for the proposed construction of a new airport terminal in Novosibirsk.
- Represented a Russia-based developer in connection with agreements with a UK-based real estate investment fund concerning the investment in, and the joint development of, a 100,000-square-meter warehouse complex in the Moscow region.
- Advised a major Russia-based bank in its investment of more than $100 million in the construction of its headquarters in one of the landmark development projects in Moscow through an agreement on share participation in construction.
- Represented a major Russian investment bank in connection with the innovative acquisition of a controlling interest in a large Russian industrial holding company.
- Advised a major U.S. corporation on the acquisition of development rights, compliance with land use and zoning requirements, construction permits and licenses, and negotiations of the land lease agreement for the purposes of construction of its own manufacturing facility in a Russian province.
- Represented a large privately held U.S. company in selecting a Russian site for its production facility, including due diligence of sites; counseling on acquisition techniques; negotiations with local, regional, and federal authorities on land allocation and reclassification; provision of utilities to the site; and preparation of documentation.
- Advised a U.S.-based hospitality management company in negotiating and drafting its management contracts with hotel owners in various Russian cities.
- Represented a UK-based company in the proposed development of a racing track capable of hosting Formula 1 Grand Prix events and a large sports and entertainment complex in Moscow.
- Advised a private investment group from Kazakhstan on a proposed acquisition of rights to a plot of land in the Emirate of Dubai (United Arab Emirates) for further development of mixed-use commercial and residential properties.
- Represented a major U.S. condominium development company in the structuring and formation of a joint venture with a Russian partner for the purposes of development, financing, construction, and management of commercial property in Moscow.
- Advised a U.S. private equity fund in a complex cross-border acquisition of a building located in Moscow and rights to underlying land for the purposes of further development and commercial use.
- Advised a Russian development company in negotiations with a major international fast food company related to the development of a chain of restaurants in one of the largest Russian cities.
- Represented a UK-based investment and development company in negotiations regarding acquisition of a Russian legal entity possessing rights to the land in one of the Russian provinces and rights to develop and build a hotel.
- University of Alabama, 1993, M.C.L.
- Kazan State University, Russia, 1992