- Real Estate
- Real Estate Funds
- Real Estate Capital Markets
- Real Estate Partnerships & Joint Ventures
- Development & Construction
- Real Estate Investment Trusts
- Real Estate Workouts
- Financial Services
- Technology Industry
- Green Building, Sustainability, and Energy Efficiency
- Funds, Real Estate Private Equity, Joint Ventures, and REITs
- ADA Title II, Title III, and State Accessibility Law
honors + affiliations
Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2003–2014)
Listed, Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers (2010)
Listed, The Best Lawyers in America (2006–2015)
Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Member, Editorial Advisory Board – Real Estate, Law360
Member, Advisory Board, Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Member, National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT)
Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
Listed, SmartCeo 2010 Legal Elite
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
1701 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2921
Eric L. Stern is the leader of Morgan Lewis's Real Estate Practice. Mr. Stern represents real estate investors and owners, including REITs, institutional lenders, national and regional retailers and other corporate end-users in the acquisition, financing, restructuring and disposition of office buildings, shopping centers, single-use properties, hotels, development parcels, residential subdivisions and mixed-used projects.
Mr. Stern has lectured on behalf of the American Bar Association, the International Council of Shopping Centers, CLE International, Law Seminars International, the Philadelphia Bar Association, and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute. Mr. Stern has written articles appearing in legal periodicals and business and trade publications concerning various topics in commercial leasing and subleasing, including exclusivity of use, operating covenants, structuring sublease relationships and obtaining landlord consents.
Mr. Stern is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts and before the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented Incyte Corporation (NSQ: INCY) in the negotiation of its new 190,000 square foot headquarters lease in New Castle County, Delaware involving the repurposing of an architecturally significant structure that now houses research and development, laboratory, offices, and 500+ employees.
- Represented a pension plan in the sale of land and negotiation of a 99-year ground lease of the Hall of States building in Washington, D.C., which generated cash proceeds of approximately $160 million for our client.
- Represented Drexel University in completing a long-term ground lease development deal with a publicly-traded student housing REIT for the development of a new 1,300 bed, 580,000 square foot student housing facility with a new dining hall and retail components on the university's urban campus. Mr. Stern simultaneously represented the university in its acquisition of long-term control of a second 452,000 square-foot student housing facility located nearby.
- Represented a publicly-traded provider of real estate and relocation services in its lease of a new, 270,000 square-foot, LEED Silver Certified corporate headquarters facility in New Jersey.
- Represented a global private equity fund in a series of transactions relating to a 53-story, 1 million square foot marquee office building in Philadelphia, PA.
- Represented a publicly-traded REIT in sale-leaseback and financing of 388 properties in 19 states aggregating approximately 14.9 million square feet in two portfolio transactions for an aggregate purchase price of $1.05 billion.
- Represented a publicly-traded REIT in acquisition of Boston, MA 1,050,000 square-foot office tower and parking garage for $705 million.
- Boston College Law School, 1981, J.D., With Honors
- Brandeis University, 1978, B.A., With Honors