honors + affiliations
Member, California State Bar Association
Listed, Top 10 in Northern California Emerging Business and Venture Capital, The Legal 500 (2009)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP Chairman's Award (2010)
Listed, International Who's Who of Life Science Lawyers 2013 (Transactional Section)
Beijing Kerry Centre South Tower, Suite 823, 8th Fl.
No. 1 Guang Hua Road, Chaoyang District
Beijing 100020, China
- Palo Alto
2 Palo Alto Square
3000 El Camino Real, Suite 700
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2121 USA
Lucas S. Chang is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice and the Managing Partner and chief representative of the firm's Beijing office. As the senior partner of Morgan Lewis's firmwide Greater China Practice, he spends the majority of his time in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong, using the Beijing office as his home base, but also travels on demand to other offices and client sites worldwide.
Dr. Chang was listed among the Top 10 in Northern California Emerging Business and Venture Capital, The Legal 500 (2009), was awarded Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP Chairman's Award in 2010, and was listed in the International Who's Who of Life Science Lawyers 2013 (Transactional Section).
Dr. Chang focuses his practice on corporate and securities transactions including foreign direct investment, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financing, private equity investments, and public offerings, and has handled a variety of cross-border transactions involving complex international corporate structures and special contractual arrangements designed to comply with unique legal requirements in various jurisdictions. A licensed U.S. patent attorney, Dr. Chang has prosecuted many patent applications, provided counseling on IP creation, protection and litigation to international clients, and served as the business/IP interface in several major IP litigation matters. He is also experienced in competition-related legal issues, and has participated in a number of U.S. and EU antitrust investigation and litigation matters. Dr. Chang's clients have included multinational corporations and emerging companies located in the U.S., China, Hong Kong and Taiwan in a variety of sectors such as semiconductor, electronics, computer hardware and software, internet and e-commerce, media and English education, chemicals, energy, and biotechnology and health care.
Prior to his legal career, Dr. Chang spent ten years as a research scientist and technical team leader at IBM Research and Union Carbide Corporation.
Dr. Chang is admitted to practice in California only and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Mergers and Acquisitions; Foreign Direct Investments
- Led and participated in various M&A transactions involving public and private companies operating in the U.S., Taiwan, and China.
- Represented various U.S. and international companies making direct investments in China and Taiwan.
- Represented U.S. companies relocating to Taiwan in corporate inversion transactions.
- Represented leading U.S. and international companies in asset or equity acquisitions in China and Taiwan and in joint venture formation and termination in China.
Venture Capital, Private Equity, and Public Offerings
- Led and participated in venture capital financing transactions involving companies operating and/or registered in the United States, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea, Cayman Islands, Bermuda and British Virgin Islands, and leading international venture capital investors.
- Participated in private equity investments in China involving both international and domestic corporate structures and leading international private equity investors.
- Participated in and leading initial public offerings, secondary offerings and follow-on offerings on NASDAQ, NYSE, and Stock Exchange of Hong Kong involving various issuers and leading investment bankers.
Intellectual Property and Litigation
- Represented clients and participating in intellectual property/patent infringement lawsuits in U.S. federal courts in Northern California, Eastern Texas, Massachusetts, and Southern California and in ITC 337 actions, involving companies from China and Taiwan.
- Participated in several patent infringement and invalidation actions in Taiwan and China involving U.S. and international companies.
- Prepared various technology transaction documents such as license agreements, joint developments agreements, foundry agreements, and supply agreements.
- Prosecuted U.S. patent applications in semiconductor processing and design, computer architectures, data/image compression, laser optics, and chemical compositions.
Antitrust Investigation and Litigation
- Represented public companies in Taiwan and their U.S. affiliates in U.S. and EU investigations, antitrust litigation, and class actions.
- Santa Clara University School of Law, 1994, J.D.
- University of Washington, 1983, Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering)
- National Taiwan University, 1977, B.S.E. (Chemical Engineering)