honors + affiliations
Chair, Disputes Division, Section of International Law, American Bar Association (2012–2013): Responsible for the oversight of the International Arbitration, International Litigation, International Mediation, International Courts, International Affairs, and International Criminal Law Committees
Senior Advisor and Past Chair, International Arbitration Committee, Section of International Law, American Bar Association (2009–2015)
Vice-Chair, International Mediation Committee, Section of International Law, American Bar Association (2013-2014)
Vice Chair, International Litigation Committee, Section of International Law, American Bar Association (2011–2013)
Liaison of the American Bar Association Section of International Law to the American Arbitration Association (2014–2015)
Liaison of the American Bar Association Section of International Law to the ICC International Court of Arbitration (2011–2015)
Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration
Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Member of the Roster of Arbitrators of the International Center for Dispute Resolution
Member of the Roster of Arbitrators of the AAA Commercial Panel
Member of the Panel of Mediators for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Fifth, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
- New York
101 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10178-0060
United States of America
Laurie E. Foster is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Litigation Practice. Ms Foster focuses her practice on complex commercial and international litigation and arbitration. She has decades of experience in high-stakes cross-border and domestic disputes in a broad range of substantive areas. Ms. Foster's international litigation experience includes issues relating to foreign sovereign immunity, art law, obtaining discovery abroad, and international enforcement of judgments. Her clients include a foreign sovereign, multinational corporations, and financial services companies.
Ms. Foster has handled a wide variety of matters in the insurance and reinsurance fields and has substantial knowledge of the London insurance market. She has represented a multinational corporation in multidistrict insurance coverage litigation concerning asbestos. Ms. Foster also has represented insurance liquidators and insurance brokers in matters arising from major international insurance insolvencies.
Complementary to her cross-border litigation practice, Ms. Foster also represents clients in the arbitration of complex commercial international and domestic disputes, including claims relating to supply contracts, mergers and acquisitions, and insurance coverage in the world's preeminent arbitration forums, including before arbitration panels of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) of the American Arbitration Association (AAA). Her arbitration experience also includes post-award litigation.
Ms. Foster's international commercial arbitration experience has been recognized with her appointment to the roster of arbitrators for the ICDR. She has also been made a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), a center for the global development of alternative dispute resolution granted a Royal Charter by Queen Elizabeth II.
Among her many leadership positions with the Section of International Law of the American Bar Association, Ms. Foster has served as Chair of the Disputes Division responsible for oversight of the International Arbitration and International Litigation Committees, among others, and is Senior Advisor and Past Chair of the International Arbitration Committee.
Ms. Foster is admitted to practice in New York and before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Fifth, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Represented a Mexican manufacturing company in an ICC arbitration in Paris involving a dispute over a long-term supply contract with a state-owned Moroccan mining company.
- Represented a European containerized shipping company in ICDR arbitration of a $100 million post-acquisition dispute involving a purchase price adjustment.
- Represented a shipping line in arbitration before the Society of Maritime Arbitrators arising out of the grounding of a vessel in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Defended international insurers in connection with a $25 million claim on a policy of efficacy insurance relating to the construction of a waste paper recycling plant.
- Represented a purchaser in ICDR arbitration with respect to allocation between the purchaser and seller of in excess of $100 million in liabilities for over four hundred individual actions in various countries around the world including India, Greece, Italy and Honduras.
- Defended an aerospace manufacturer that sold one of its subsidiaries to a French purchaser in a purchase price adjustment proceeding before an Independent Accountant that concerned proposed multi-million dollar inventory adjustments.
- Sitting as an arbitrator in an international insurance dispute.
- Represented a foreign sovereign in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals in a dispute over the ownership of a master work of art.
- Represented domestic and foreign commodities brokers in New York state court in a dispute with Brazilian guarantors of commodities trading accounts.
- Represented an English insurance company in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York in an action for breach of warranty and contract in connection with the sale of the insurer.
- Represented the Bermudian liquidator of a property and casualty insurer in federal district court in California in RICO and professional negligence action against its auditors.
- Represented the liquidator of a foreign insurer in RICO and fraud actions in federal district court in Louisiana against certain of its officers and directors.
Commercial and Insurance Disputes
- Serving as national coordinating counsel for a global transportation company in thousands of individual claims of product liability and related insurance coverage in multiple state and federal courts.
- Represented an outsourcing technology company in an action in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York to enforce a non-solicitation agreement.
- Represented an insurance broker in a New York State Attorney General investigation.
- Represented a life insurer in federal court in Rhode Island in an action to rescind a policy.
- Represented an insurer in an AAA arbitration arising out of a settlement and escrow agreement.
- Defended a major supermarket chain in a $50 million breach of contract case before the AAA relating to an agreement to provide advertising.
- Defended a $20 million breach of contract claim involving trucking services in an AAA proceeding.
- Defended a garment manufacturer in AAA arbitration of claims relating to the breach of a joint venture agreement.
- Columbia University Law School, 1977, J.D.
- Vassar College, 1974, B.A.