honors + affiliations
Listed, Chambers Europe: Europe's Leading Lawyers for Business (2010, 2012)
- New York
68, rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré
75008 Paris, France
Roland P. Montfort is the Managing Partner of the Paris office and a partner in Morgan Lewis’s Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Montfort focuses his practice on a wide range of transactions for strategic clients, whether French or foreign multinational companies with substantial operations in France, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, joint-ventures, group consolidation, divestiture and restructuring, whether domestic or in a cross-border and/or global context, as well as greenfield investments.
His work often includes finance, securities regulation, foreign investment, real property, environment, labor and employment, and other considerations.
Regular counsel to financial or industrial clients in various sectors, such as automotive, aerospace, life science, pharmaceutical, consumer goods, semiconductors or heavy industries, Mr. Montfort also works on a variety of day-to-day issues and missions, whether company law, all types of commercial agreements (intra-group or with third parties), factory-related issues, other corporate aspects, ranging from corporate governance, compliance and ethics, management liability to insolvency, trade regulations, export control, and other EC or domestic regulations.
Mr. Montfort works closely with the other practice teams thereby assisting clients on intellectual property, information technology, labor and employment, and litigation issues.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Montfort was a partner at a preeminent Paris law firm where he coordinated the mergers and acquisitions department. Prior to that, he worked for several major U.S. international law firms in Paris, where he reached the rank of partner. He also previously served in Japan as in-house counsel to a major automobile company
Mr Montfort has been listed as a Band 1 lawyer for mid-market M&A transactions in Chambers Europe for 2012.
Mr Montfort received his LL.M. in corporate law from New York University School of Law in 1992. Mr. Montfort is fluent in French and English.
Mr. Montfort is admitted to practice in Paris, New York, and Brussels.
Recent transactions (partial)
- Represented U.S. private investment firm SK Capital Partners in its definitive agreement to acquire the textile chemicals, paper specialties, and emulsion products businesses of Swiss specialty chemicals company Clariant for $400 million.
- Advised a U.S. helmet manufacturing company in connection in its acquisition of a UK-based provider of equipment for civil, defense, security, and industrial personnel.
- Advised a U.S. bank in connection with a delayed draw secured term loan facility to finance the production of a motion picture.
- Advised a U.S. internet access company in connection with the implementation of free WiFi in French railway stations.
- Represented United Technologies Corp. in all the French aspects of its $16.5 billion acquisition of Goodrich Corporation.
- Represented United Technologies Corp. in connection with all French aspects of the $3.46 billion divestiture of the industrial businesses of its Hamilton Sundstrand subsidiary to private equity firms Carlyle Group LP and BC Partners Ltd.
- Represented SK Capital Partners in the acquisition of IBA Pharma, SA for €180 million ($230 million).
- Advised a U.S. bank in connection with a French studio revolving facility
- Advised a Japanese car manufacturer in connection with experimentation in France of car sharing vehicles
- Advised a U.S. buyer in connection the acquisition of a UK group involved in supplies to the French Military (French aspects)
- Advised a U.S. pharma company in connection with a French assets sale to a Japanese pharma company
- Advised a French consulting group in connection with internal mergers/consolidation
- Advised a Swedish listed entity in its acquisition of a global supplier of drilling solutions (French aspects)
- Advised a U.S. bank in connection with a blockbuster production
- Advised a U.S. IT supplier in connection with a SNCF–SFR deal for wifi solution available in all French railway stations
- Advised Russia media in its stake acquisition in French TNT channel
- Advised a U.S. conglomerate in connection with a divestiture of industrial pumps businesses to a private equity fund (French aspects)
- Advised a U.S. conglomerate in connection with an acquisition of major aerospace business including mandatory divestiture of electric business to French competitor (EC and French aspects)
- Advised a U.S. investment fund in its acquisition of a chemical business from a Swiss seller (French aspects)
- Advised a Japanese automotive supplier in its acquisition of a French manufacturing plant from a French seller
- Advised a U.S. investment fund in its acquisition of nuclear medicine portfolio entities (French aspects)
- Advised a U.S. aerospace group in the acquisition and resale of French based power engine repair facility events
- New York University School of Law, 1992, LL.M.
- Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium, 1989, Magna Cum Laude
- Collège Saint-Michel, Belgium, 1984