honors + affiliations
Listed, USA Legal 500, Corporate (2006 & 2009, 2011–2012)
Director and Corporate Secretary, Builders Beyond Borders, Inc.
- New York
- New Jersey
Steven A. Navarro is co-head of the firm's Mergers and Acquisitions Practice and a deputy practice group leader of the firmwide Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Navarro’s practice focuses on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, joint ventures, and strategic alliances. He has experience across many industries, including energy and natural resources, life sciences, manufacturing, and retail.
Mr. Navarro advises private equity funds and multinational public and private companies on complex acquisitions, dispositions, and securities transactions. His practice encompasses public and private M&A, stock and asset transactions, and purchases and sales through bankruptcy and out-of-court restructuring. He also represents issuers in initial and subsequent public offerings, as well as issuers and strategic and financial investors in private placements of the securities of publicly and privately held corporations.
Mr. Navarro is admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey.
Energy and Natural Resources
- Represented BHP Billiton (ASX), an Australian natural resource company, in its $15.1 billion acquisition of Petrohawk Energy Corp. (NYSE), an owner of shale assets (the 8th largest deal of 2011 according to Corporate Control Alert).
- Represented ABB Grain (ASX) on US securities matters relation to its $1.6 billion acquisition by Viterra (TSX).
- Represented InterEnergy Partners LP, a private equity fund, in the acquisition and equity arrangements of a 120MW power plant in South America.
- Represented InterEnergy Partners in the acquisition and equity arrangements of a non-control equity interest in a portfolio of power plants in South America of approximately 625MW and in the acquisition and equity arrangements in a non-control investment in a 300MW power plant in South America.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition and equity arrangements of a power distribution company in South America.
- Represented private equity fund in investment in South American and Caribbean basin power generation business.
- Represented a Japanese pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a development stage vaccine company for up to $250m.
- Represented Marshall Edwards, Inc. (Nasdaq), an oncology focused company, in its acquisition of the isoflavone portfolio of Novogen Ltd. (ASX, Nasdaq) in exchange for convertible preferred stock.
- Represented MEI Pharma in its acquisition of various compounds from S*Bio PTE LTD. for a combination of common stock and future cash payments.
- Represented MEI Pharma in various PIPE and registered direct offerings.
- Represented Chelsea Therapeutics in an "at-the-market" program.
- Represented H Lundbeck A/S in the acquisition of Ovation Pharmaceuticals, a developer of CNS drugs (2009 Buyouts Magazine Deal of the Year).
- Represented Chiesi Farmaceutici S.p.A. in its controlling investment in Cornerstone Therapeutics (Nasdaq), a maker of respiratory medicines.
- Represented Owens Corning in a $1.8 billion worldwide manufacturing joint venture and related equity transactions.
- Represented Owens Corning in the $800m acquisition of a worldwide specialty glass yarns business.
- Represented Ferro Corporation in the acquisition of a European and Asian ceramics business structured as an asset swap.
- Represented Sun Capital, a private equity fund, in the sale of Sonneborn, Inc., a global specialty petro chemical manufacturer.
- Represented Owens Corning in the joint venture of its cultured stone business.
- Represented Sekesui in a US based manufacturing joint venture and related equity transaction.
- Represented Sun Capital Partners in its $1.2 billion acquisition of ShopKo Stores, a publicly traded Midwestern based retailer and related equity investments by co-investors.
- Represented ShopKo Stores in its $3 billion combination with Pamida Inc.
- Represented financial participants in a $3 billion private equity acquisition of BJ's Wholesale Club.
- Represented Sun Capital Partners in its acquisition of Friendly's Ice Cream (Nasdaq).
- Georgetown University Law Center, 1987, J.D.
- State University of New York at Albany, 1984, B.A.