honors + affiliations
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
Listed, The Best Lawyers in America (2008–2012)
Listed as Highly Recommended, Corporate M&A, PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook (2006–2009)
Listed, PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook (2010)
1701 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2921
United States of America
Timothy Maxwell is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Maxwell has experience in a wide range of U.S. and international business law matters, with a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisition transactions. In recent years, a significant number of these transactions have been with life sciences companies, evenly split between pharmaceutical transactions and medical device transactions, and also with financial services companies. Representative transactions during this period include the following:
- Susquehanna Bancshares’ acquisitions of Patriot Bank, Minotola National Bank, and Community Bank
- The sale of Closure Medical Corporation to Johnson & Johnson
- VIASYS Healthcare’s acquisitions of Pulmonetic Systems and Hoffman Laboratories (and numerous other medical device businesses)
- Groupe SEB’s acquisition of All-Clad USA
- The sale of VIASYS Healthcare to Cardinal Health
- Numerous acquisitions for InfraSource and the subsequent sale of that company by Exelon to GFI Energy Ventures and Oaktree Capital Management
- Sale of BioRexis Pharmaceutical Corporation to Pfizer
In addition to providing counsel on a broad spectrum of commercial matters (financing, corporate governance, joint ventures, etc.), Mr. Maxwell is frequently involved in unusual or unprecedented engagements. Recent examples include:
- Contested acquisition of the largest public company in the Barbados
- Bid by a consortium to lease and operate the Pennsylvania Turnpike for 75 years
- Efforts on behalf of creditors to seize the Boeing 757 used by the President of a foreign sovereign
- Advisor to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court on commercial matters
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Maxwell was special assistant to U.S. Senator D.P. Moynihan and a professional staff member of the U.S. Senate Budget Committee.
Mr. Maxwell is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1984, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, 1978, B.A.
- University of Pennsylvania, 1978, M.A.