honors + affiliations
Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- District of Columbia
- Washington, D.C.
1111 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004-2541
Ron N. Dreben is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Intellectual Property Practice. Mr. Dreben focuses on IP and technology issues in transactions, as well as all areas of trademark, copyright, trade secret, licensing, and related intellectual property law. He has been a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) since 2010.
- Addressing all forms of IP issues in M&A transactions (from heavy industry to consumer goods to high technology), including worldwide IP diligence, IP representations and indemnification, and confidentiality and non-compete provisions.
- Handling all forms of IP transactional documentation, such as website hosting and e-commerce agreements, terms and conditions, and privacy policies; development agreements; trademark co-existence agreements and licenses; consulting and independent contractor agreements; software licenses; and data use agreements.
- Advising on privacy issues, including proper responses in the event of security breaches, and the relevance of the EU Data Directive to U.S. companies.
- Drafting trademark licenses for sophisticated financial products, such as exchange traded funds and co-branded investment products.
- Handling high-profile brand sponsorships and product integrations in television shows, computer games, books, and movies.
- Drafting and negotiating celebrity/sports figure endorsement agreements.
- Acquiring domain names, through proceedings under ICANN's UDRP (Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy); ACPA (Anticybersquatter Consumer Protection Act); and negotiation.
Mr. Dreben has handled technology and software agreement matters for major Wall Street banks (individually, and as part of consortia), and for various financial services and other companies. He is experienced in negotiating with virtually all industry leading technology product and service vendors. He frequently advises technology developers and providers as well.
Mr. Dreben is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia.
Publications and Speeches:
In 2013, Mr. Dreben was asked to record his presentation, "Fair Use in the Financial Services Industry" for a client's mandatory employee training. He is a regular contributor to the World Trademark Review. Mr. Dreben has been a guest lecturer in business law and e-commerce classes at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He has spoken in Japan on multimedia law issues, and moderated panels at the Georgetown Law Advanced Computer Law Conference in Washington, D.C. and SuperNova in Santa Clara, CA. He was a keynote speaker on Internet legal issues at INTA's 123rd Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
His articles include:
- Line Wave Design for Clothing Found to be Merely Ornamental, World Trademark Review Daily, Feb. 2013
- Making Brand-Sponsored Entertainment the Real Thing, World Trademark Review, Feb. 2008
- Wikipedia - A Valid Source for Trade Matters?, World Trademark Review, Sept./Oct. 2006
- The Accidental Licensor: Advanced Issues in Software Licensing, ACCA Docket Journal, Feb. 2003
- Portal Agreements: 10 Tacks for Smooth Sailing - Cyberspace Lawyer, Dec. 2000
- Top 10 Things to Consider in Developing an Electronic Commerce Web Site, The Computer Lawyer, May 1999
- Harvard Law School, 1986, J.D.
- Harvard University, 1983, A.B.