honors + affiliations
Vice-Chair, International Arbitration Committee, American Bar Association
Vice-Chair, International Section, New York State Bar Association
Empire State Counsel Honoree (2008–2011)
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Matthew Kalinowski is an associate in Morgan Lewis's Litigation Practice. Mr. Kalinowski's practice is concentrated in the representation of companies and individuals in all aspects of complex civil litigation and arbitration.
Mr. Kalinowski has represented clients in all levels of state and federal courts and before arbitration bodies. Recent and ongoing representations include:
- Assisted in winning a nine-figure settlement on behalf of a large financial institution in an insurance dispute to recover defense and indemnity costs stemming from several underlying securities matters.
- Successfully prosecuted claims on behalf of a Mexican manufacturer of phosphate products against Morocco's commercial exporter of phosphate rock in a six-day I.C.C. international arbitration hearing regarding the parties' long-term supply contract.
- Convinced federal court to dismiss complaint filed against the Swiss Confederation in a suit contesting the ownership of a Vincent Van Gogh drawing; decision affirmed on appeal. Orkin v. Swiss Confederation, 444 Fed. Appx. 469 (2d Cir. 2011).
- Led the response to an S.E.C. subpoena issued to a multinational bank regarding its securitizations of mortgage-backed securities.
- Secured political asylum in the U.S. for a Burmese political dissident who was tortured and then imprisoned for 14 years by the country's ruling junta. The client was a founding member of Burma's National League for Democracy, whose first General Secretary was Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Kalinowski served as a law clerk to the senior judges of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
Mr. Kalinowski received his J.D., with honors, from George Washington University Law School in 2005 and his B.A. from the University of California, San Diego in 1999. He is fluent in Spanish and English.
Mr. Kalinowski is admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey, and the District of Columbia and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, and the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- George Washington University Law School, 2005, J.D., With Honors
- University of California, San Diego, 1999, B.A.