Morgan Lewis was founded in Philadelphia on March 10, 1873 by Charles Eldridge Morgan, Jr., a Civil War veteran, and Francis Draper Lewis, the son of a successful cotton merchant. In 1883, Morgan & Lewis hired Morris Rex Bockius, who dominated the firm from the turn of the century until his death in 1939. He became a partner fifteen years after he joined the firm, which became Morgan, Lewis & Bockius.
In 1882, the firm began to handle work for the United Gas Improvement Company, which became the largest gas and electric utility company in the United States, and (as UGI) is still a client today. That was the beginning of a boom: By the end of the 19th century and into the 20th, Morgan Lewis counseled many leading companies including Philadelphia’s largest newspaper, Pennsylvania’s largest railroad, a major paper manufacturer, banks and trust companies, and the largest manufacturer of steam locomotives in the world.
Since those nascent days, Morgan Lewis has evolved into a global law firm with nearly 2,000 lawyers in 28 offices in major cities across the United States, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. We are consistently ranked among the world’s leading law firms because we deliver effective solutions. Our clients rely on the firm to guide them through all of their legal needs, from significant business decisions to the most complex global deals and litigation.