Thomas R. Davisof counsel
1000 Louisiana St., Suite 4000
Houston, TX 77002-5006
101 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10178-0060
Thomas R. Davis is of counsel in Morgan Lewis's Litigation and Intellectual Property Practices. Mr. Davis focuses his practice primarily in the field of intellectual property disputes, including patent litigation, pre-litigation counseling, trade secrets misappropriation, and other technology-focused litigation. Mr. Davis has represented domestic and foreign clients as both plaintiff and defendant in various federal jurisdictions across the United States, including the Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas, the Central and Northern Districts of California, the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, the Northern District of Illinois, the Northern District of Ohio, and the District of New Jersey.
In addition to intellectual property litigation, Mr. Davis assists clients with patent procurement, opinion work, licensing, trademark matters, and intellectual property portfolio management. Mr. Davis has experience with computer hardware and software, including dynamic random access memory (DRAM), hard disk drives, flash memory storage and flash memory management, digital rights management, secure computer networks, operating system kernels, networking, wired/wireless printers, streaming video technology, and data compression; light emitting diodes; cellular phones and PDAs; e-commerce and business methods including secure financial and derivatives trading, foreign exchange methods, and funds transfers; oilfield technology including top drive drilling, and drilling with casing; and vehicle wrap technology including technology for reducing aerodynamic drag.
Mr. Davis received his J.D. from St. John's University School of Law in 2002. While in law school, he served on the International Law Review and was executive director for the Civil Trial Institute. He received his B.A. in engineering, with a focus on computer science, from Texas Tech University in 1999.
Mr. Davis is admitted to practice in Texas and New York and before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas, and the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- Represented a pioneer in the development of digital rights management (DRM) and secure computing technology in a patent infringement litigation. The case settled with a $440 million victory for the client.
- Represented one of the world's leading computer component suppliers in a patent infringement suit involving dynamic random access memory.
- Represented a global leader in mobile storage in asserting its patent against a leading flash memory producer. The case settled with a favorable licensing agreement for the client.
- Represented a national retailer in a patent case involving portable eyeglass cleaners. The case settled favorably for the client at mediation.
- Represented a worldwide producer of fluid dynamic bearings used in hard disc drive motors asserting its patents against a competitor.
- Defended one of the world's leading suppliers of light-emitting diodes in a patent infringement case involving wide bandgap technology.
- Defended a premier financial services firm in a patent litigation involving online banking technology.
- Defended an international video game manufacturer in a patent litigation involving mirror technology.
- Represented a leading provider of Internet protocol testing equipment in a trade secret misappropriation case.
- Represented a worldwide leader in oilfield equipment technology asserting its patents against an international competitor in the industry.
Ranked, National Tier 1: Biotechnology Law by U.S. News and Best Lawyers (2010–2012)
honors + affiliations
Member, American Bar Association