- Business & Finance
- Emerging Business & Technology
- Venture Capital
- Private Equity
- Private Offerings
- Public Offerings
- Securities Regulation
- Private Equity M&A
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Life Sciences
- Life Sciences Transactions
- Technology Industry
- Technology & Commercial Transactions
- Internet & E-Commerce
- Clean Technology
honors + affiliations
Listed, SmartCEO Legal Elite (2011)
Listed, Lawyers on the Fast Track, The Legal Intelligencer (2011)
Member, Core Class, Leadership Philadelphia (2009-2010)
Listed, "Rising Star," Business/Corporate, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2008)
Member, IT Investment Advisory Committee, Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania
Former Managing Editor of Research and Business, Villanova Law Review
Member, Order of the Coif
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
Jeffrey P. Bodle is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice and its Emerging Business and Technology Practice. Mr. Bodle is a corporate and securities lawyer whose practice focuses on representing emerging businesses and other high-growth private and public companies throughout every stage of their lifecycle. He also represents seed and venture capital investors, private equity investors, institutional investors, and strategic investors in investment and portfolio company transactions. He also concentrates his practice on a variety of complex transactional matters, including IPOs and other public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, mergers and acquisitions and corporate partnering, joint venture, and other strategic transactions.
Mr. Bodle regularly acts as general outside counsel to startups and high-growth companies at all stages of development, primarily in the technology (including software, mobile, Internet commerce, and digital media), life sciences (including biotechnology, biopharmaceutical, healthcare, and medical devices), financial services, clean technology, and consumer industries. He also counsels boards of directors and senior management of companies on corporate governance, securities law compliance, and general corporate matters.
Mr. Bodle’s startup and emerging business practice focuses on coordinating the firm’s resources to provide entrepreneurs, startups, and later-stage emerging businesses with legal and strategic advice on a broad range of matters from formation through acquisition or IPO. These matters include choice of entity and formation issues, equity and incentive structures, execution of growth strategies, including through mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financing structures, negotiations with seed and venture capital investors and commercial partners, and corporate governance, employment, and intellectually property matters. He also counsels clients in implementing exit strategies, including preparing for and executing a sale transaction or an IPO, and transitioning from a private company to a public company. He also nurtures entrepreneurs and early stage clients by reviewing their business plans, helping them identify appropriate financing sources, and providing connectivity to the region’s startup, emerging business, and venture capital communities. He is also an active member of the firm’s "Connect at Morgan Lewis" program, which brings together investors and entrepreneurs and guides clients through the process of refining their investor presentations through individual coaching sessions.
Mr. Bodle is an active member of the region’s startup, emerging business, and venture capital communities. He is a member of the IT Investment Advisory Committee for the Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania. He speaks regularly on startup, emerging business, and venture capital topics and serves as a coach and judge for a number of investor and venture fairs and business plan competitions.
Mr. Bodle earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Villanova University School of Law in 1999, where he was managing editor of research and business for the Villanova Law Review and was named to the Order of the Coif. He earned his B.A. from Villanova University in 1995.
Mr. Bodle is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania.
- Representation of technology and clean technology companies and venture capital investors in technology and clean technology–related venture capital financings involving an aggregate of more than $150 million in proceeds raised in the last five years.
- Representation of life sciences companies and venture capital investors in biotechnology and medical device–related venture capital financings involving an aggregate of more than $150 million in proceeds raised in the last five years.
- Representation of a strategic venture capital fund affiliated with one of the world’s leading cable and communications companies in multiple strategic venture capital investments.
- Representation of a NASDAQ-listed cancer diagnostic medical device company in its initial public offering, follow-on financings, and pre-IPO venture capital financings.
- Representation of multiple technology and life sciences companies in sales to publicly traded and other strategic buyers.
- Representation of an international media company with an education focus in connection with several strategic venture investments in innovative education companies.
- Representation of a multinational specialty pharmaceutical company in a Rule 144A offering of $400 million in senior unsecured notes.
- Representation of an AMEX-listed medical injection device company in multiple PIPE financings.
- Representation of a pension fund sponsored by a Fortune 100 company in multiple private equity investments.
- Villanova University School of Law, 1999, J.D.
- Villanova University, 1995, B.A.