honors + affiliations
Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, Northern, and Eastern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth, and Federal Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
Brett M. Schuman is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Intellectual Property and Litigation Practices and leader of the San Francisco Litigation Group. Mr. Schuman focuses his practice on patent and other IP litigation in California state and federal courts, the Eastern District of Texas, the District of Delaware, other federal district courts, and in U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals, including the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Schuman's recent significant intellectual property representations include serving as lead partner in patent infringement litigation involving multiple patents relating to wireless internet access and functionality. He has also been lead partner on cases involving multiple semiconductor patents. In addition, Mr. Schuman has handled patent infringement and other IP cases involving key technologies in other industries, such as pharmaceuticals. He also has been lead counsel in several litigations involving patent license agreements.
Mr. Schuman has served as the primary architect and author of a successful summary judgment motion in a case seeking more than $500 million in damages from the client for alleged trade secret misappropriation. He also successfully resolved claims of copyright infringement and other torts against a national laboratory conglomerate threatened with an injunction that would have effectively shut down the company.
Mr. Schuman's approach to IP litigation combines analytical rigor and the ability to present complex technical information to judges, juries, and others without a technical background.
For the last several years, Mr. Schuman has served as a teaching practitioner-advisor in a course on Appellate Advocacy at the University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law. He also served as a law clerk to Justice Alan B. Handler of the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey during the court's 1996-1997 term.
Mr. Schuman is admitted to practice in California and before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, Northern, and Eastern Districts of California; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas; the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware; the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Ninth, and Federal Circuits; and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Lead counsel to a high-tech company in the wireless space in patent infringement and other litigation in the Northern District of California.
- Lead counsel to multiple high-tech companies in multiple patent infringement litigation pending in the Eastern District of Texas; technologies include software and semiconductors.
- Lead appellate counsel to accused infringer on appeal to the Federal Circuit; obtained affirmation of a judgment of noninfringement in a patent case involving a method for selecting the color of artificial teeth.
- Lead counsel to a high-tech company in a multi-patent dispute involving semiconductors in the Northern District of California.
- Architect of successful summary judgment motion in a case seeking more than $500 million in damages from a leading high-tech company accused of trade secret misappropriation.
- Lead counsel to a high-tech company in an inventorship dispute; secured favorable settlement of claims by the plaintiff to be the true inventor of the client's IP; client retained exclusive rights to disputed patent.
- Lead counsel to a national laboratory conglomerate threatened with injunction and shutdown in a dispute over key technology; successfully resolved claims for copyright infringement.
- Appellate counsel to international pharmaceutical company in case asserting patent infringement against generic drug company; obtained affirmance of finding of patent infringement.
- Harvard Law School, 1996, J.D.
- University of Michigan, 1993, B.A.