honors + affiliations
Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers (2004, 2012)
Listed, "Top 100 - California's Leading Lawyers," Daily Journal (2008)
Listed, Southern California Super Lawyers (2004-2008)
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Member, Board of Directors, Public Counsel
Member, Board of Directors, Center for Civil Mediation
- Los Angeles
300 South Grand Ave, 22nd Fl.
Los Angeles, CA 90071-3132
David Schrader is Managing Partner of the firm's Los Angeles office and a senior partner in the Litigation Practice. A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, Mr. Schrader represents clients across many industries—energy, manufacturing, and life sciences, among others—in some of their most sensitive and critical matters. He serves as national counsel in serial litigation and as a global litigation strategist, and has been named one of California's 100 most influential attorneys.
Mr. Schrader has tried cases in state and federal courts from California to New York. In one recent matter, he won complete vindication for his client in a civil RICO case initially described on the cover of Corporate Counsel magazine as the company's "worst nightmare." Mr. Schrader not only defeated all claims in their entirety but obtained a $2.6 million judgment against the plaintiff. Serving as national trial counsel for a defendant in the silicone breast implant litigation, he won defense verdicts in every case he tried. Mr. Schrader's experience also includes representing a prominent attorney in a jury trial involving a multimillion-dollar partnership dispute, and defending companies in trials involving multiple plaintiffs or allegations of breach of contract and fraud.
Mr. Schrader's cases often involve complex scientific issues, and he has successfully excluded the testimony of numerous expert witnesses following evidentiary Daubert hearings. As a result of his representation of a major oil company in its MTBE litigation, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business listed Mr. Schrader as one of the top water-quality litigation attorneys in the nation, noting that he is "recommended mainly for his litigation skills."
Mr. Schrader has argued before U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, and Eleventh circuits, in addition to California's state appellate courts. As national counsel and global litigation strategist, he not only supervises local counsel in large, complex matters but implements litigation management and expense control programs.Mr. Schrader also serves as a member of the firm's Advisory Board. He is admitted to practice in California.
- Representing a global auto manufacturer, defeated all claims in their entirety and won a $2.6 million judgment against the plaintiff in a high-profile civil RICO matter.
- Defended online advertising company against $1 billion lawsuit and arbitration brought by MySpace, alleging violations of the CAN-SPAM Act.
- Obtained dismissal, based on federal preemption, of national class action by boat owners alleging that gasoline containing ethanol is a defective product.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of life insurance company in federal court lawsuit alleging RICO, fraud, and unlawful business practices and seeking $300 million damages.
- Obtained confidential settlement for wind farm operator in arbitration of breach of contract claims against manufacturer of wind turbines.
- Undefeated in defense of silicone breast implant jury trials in multiple states.
- Undefeated in defense of asbestos product liability trials in Los Angeles.
- Defended major oil company in jury trial in Portland, Oregon, involving claims of breach of contract and fraud and an eight figure damage claim. Case settled during jury deliberations.
- Defended prominent trial attorney in jury trial involving alleged breach of partnership agreement and fiduciary duty.
- Defended major oil company in numerous lawsuits involving franchise disputes under the PMPA.
- Obtained dismissal, on free speech grounds, of class action lawsuit alleging false advertising of premium gasoline.
- Obtained dismissal of unfair business practices class action against cellular telephone manufacturer.
- Obtained defense award in arbitration of claims by former company founder seeking multimillion dollars in stock options.
- Obtained summary judgment in product liability lawsuit against vaccine manufacturer.
- Defended railroad in jury trial of lawsuit in Los Angeles by 83 plaintiffs claiming personal injuries, toxic exposure, and emotional distress. Negligence admitted; however, jury awarded our expert's estimate ($51,500) for property damage, nothing on personal injury claims, and no punitive damages.
- Defeated petition for writ of mandate in bench trial seeking award of multimillion dollar contract.
- Obtained dismissal of hundreds of plaintiffs following entry of case management order in mass tort litigation arising out of train derailment and pipeline rupture.
- Boston University School of Law, 1990, J.D., Cum Laude
- University of Delaware, 1984, B.S.