Ranked, National Tier 1: Biotechnology Law by U.S. News and Best Lawyers (2010–2012)
honors + affiliations
Associate Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
John V. Gorman is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Litigation and Intellectual Property Practices. Mr. Gorman represents corporations and non-profit organizations in intellectual property disputes and complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Gorman has represented plaintiffs and defendants in patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, and complex commercial cases in courts throughout the United States. He has handled all aspects of litigation from inception through trial and post-trial appeals. Mr. Gorman's cases have involved a wide range of subjects, including consumer products, industrial products, medical devices, computers, mobile devices, plastics, mechanical devices, nanotechnology, academic standardized tests, medical treatments, and automatic fire protection equipment.
Among his other responsibilities, Mr. Gorman serves as the partner in charge of training for the firm's Litigation Practice. He is also a member of the Philadelphia Bar Association and the Pennsylvania Bar Association. Mr. Gorman has been selected by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" in the area of General Litigation (2006) and noted in The Legal 500 for Intellectual Property-Patent Litigation (2008).
Mr. Gorman is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal and the Third Circuits and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania.
- Defended a major telecommunication and wireless equipment company in the District of Delaware against allegations that applications and direct carrier billing functionality infringed patents
- Represented a prominent national university in actions in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the Western District of Tennessee regarding alleged breaches of material transfer agreements relating to client's cancer treatment
- Represented major international manufacturer of industrial cutting tools in multiple patent infringement actions in the Western District of Pennsylvania both as a plaintiff and defendant
- Represented a manufacturer of fire protection products in numerous actions in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the Southern District of New York in connection with their enforcement and licensing of patent portfolios covering innovative fire protection technologies
- Represented a major oil and gas company in connection with a contractual dispute with a major supplier in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Brought copyright infringement action in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania on behalf of non-profit organization that administers standardized tests against and obtained consent order against defendants
- Represented a major manufacturer of liquid crystal displays in multiple patent infringement actions in the District of Delaware
- Successfully enforced trademark rights of non-profit oncology care organization through action in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in international arbitration proceedings involving inventorship and ownership of patent applications for methods of treating Alzheimer's disease
- Represented a manufacturer of lighting systems in a case in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania involving alleged infringement of patents covering lighting control panel technologies.
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal and covenant not to sue in the Middle District of Florida on behalf of a medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement case brought by a competitor.
- Represented a marketing solutions business in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania in a patent infringement case involving consumer profiling and targeted marketing systems.
- Recovered millions of dollars on behalf of a global technology company in an international arbitration and federal court litigation in the Northern District of California concerning unpaid royalties owed by a Japanese software manufacturer.
- Defended a medical device manufacturer in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania in connection with allegations that a competitor infringed a patent covering a bone fixation device.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1997, J.D., Cum Laude
- Villanova University, 1994, B.A. (Honors & Political Science), Magna Cum Laude