honors + affiliations
Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- District of Columbia
- Washington, D.C.
1111 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004-2541
Ron N. Dreben is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Intellectual Property Practice. Mr. Dreben focuses on integrated brand advertising, sponsored entertainment, and technology, as well as all areas of trademark, copyright, trade secret, licensing, and related intellectual property law.
- Handling high-profile brand sponsorships and product integrations in television shows, computer games, books, and movies.
- Drafting and negotiating celebrity/sports figure endorsement agreements.
- Acquiring domain names, through proceedings under ICANN's UDRP (Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy); ACPA (Anticybersquatter Consumer Protection Act); and negotiation.
- Addressing all forms of IP issues in M&A transactions (from heavy industry to consumer goods to high technology), including worldwide IP diligence, IP representations and indemnification, and confidentiality and non-compete provisions.
- Handling all forms of IP transactional documentation, such as web site hosting and e-commerce agreements, terms and conditions, and privacy policies; development agreements; trademark co-existence agreements and licenses; consulting and independent contractor agreements; software licenses; and data use agreements.
- Drafting trademark licenses for sophisticated financial products, such as exchange traded funds and co-branded investment products.
- Advising on privacy issues, including proper responses in the event of security breaches, and the relevance of the EU Data Directive to U.S. companies.
Mr. Dreben has handled technology and software agreement matters for Moody's, Nikon, Unilever, and Liberty Travel, among many others. He is experienced in negotiating with virtually all industry leading technology product and service vendors. He frequently advises technology developers and providers as well.
Mr. Dreben is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia.
Publications and Speeches:
Mr. Dreben is Editor-in-Chief of Morgan Lewis' On IP and Technology Law Newsletter and a regular contributor to the World Trademark Law Reporter. He has been a guest lecturer in business law and e-commerce classes at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He has spoken in Japan on multimedia law issues, and moderated panels at the Georgetown Law Advanced Computer Law Conference in Washington, D.C. and SuperNova in Santa Clara, CA. He was a keynote speaker on Internet legal issues at INTA's 123rd Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
His articles include:
- Wikipedia - A Valid Source for Trade Matters?, World Trademark Review, Sept./Oct. 2006
- The Accidental Licensor: Advanced Issues in Software Licensing, ACCADocket Journal, Feb. 2003
- Portal Agreements: 10 Tacks for Smooth Sailing - Cyberspace Lawyer, Dec. 2000
- Top 10 Things to Consider in Developing an Electronic Commerce Web Site, The Computer Lawyer, May 1999
- Harvard Law School, 1986, J.D.
- Harvard University, 1983, A.B.