honors + affiliations
Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2003–2012)
Listed, Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers (2010)
Listed, The Best Lawyers in America (2006–2012)
Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Member, Advisory Board, Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Member, International Association of Attorneys and Executives in Corporate Real Estate
Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
Listed, SmartCeo 2010 Legal Elite
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Eric L. Stern is the leader of Morgan Lewis's Real Estate Practice. Mr. Stern represents real estate investors and owners, including REITs, institutional lenders, national and regional retailers and other corporate end-users in the acquisition, financing, restructuring and disposition of office buildings, shopping centers, single-use properties, hotels, development parcels, residential subdivisions and mixed-used projects.
Mr. Stern has lectured on behalf of the American Bar Association, the International Council of Shopping Centers, CLE International, Law Seminars International, the Philadelphia Bar Association, and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute. Mr. Stern has written articles appearing in legal periodicals and business and trade publications concerning various topics in commercial leasing and subleasing, including exclusivity of use, operating covenants, structuring sublease relationships and obtaining landlord consents.
Mr. Stern is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts and before the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented a global private equity fund in a series of transactions relating to a 53-story, 1 million square foot marquee office building in Philadelphia, PA.
- Represented a publicly-traded REIT in sale-leaseback and financing of 388 properties in 19 states aggregating approximately 14.9 million square feet in two portfolio transactions for an aggregate purchase price of $1.05 billion.
- Represented a publicly-traded REIT in acquisition of Boston, MA 1,050,000 square-foot office tower and parking garage for $705 million.
- Represented a publicly-traded automobile parts and service retailer in $200M senior secured credit facility collateralized by 154 owned store locations in 13 states.
- Boston College Law School, 1981, J.D., With Honors
- Brandeis University, 1978, B.A., With Honors