Business and Finance Close the Deal
For More Information
Areas of Experience
Our Business and Finance Practice is composed of more than 400 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East who focus on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), including joint ventures, spin-offs, and strategic alliances, as well as private equity, private investment fund, finance, restructuring, capital markets, corporate governance, emerging business, outsourcing, real estate, and tax matters.
We provide counsel to clients representing a diverse range of industry sectors, including:
- Life sciences
- Media and entertainment
- Financial services
- Advised on more than 700 M&A transactions globally in the last five years, with a combined market value of more than $250 billion.
- More than 400 venture capital financing transactions completed worldwide in the last five years.
- More than 175 private equity transactions completed in the last five years.
- Clients include more than 700 mutual funds, venture capital funds, private equity funds, and hedge funds worldwide.
- More than $5 billion in venture financing transactions globally in the last five years.
- More than 20 of our lawyers are SEC alumni, covering all areas of expertise.
- 147 lawyers named in Chambers and Partners, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2013)
U.S. Practice Rankings
Morgan Lewis consistently places among the top transactional law firms in the United States. The following are selected results:
- Ranked 4th on the BTI Client Service A-Team 2014 among more than 330 law firms serving large and Fortune 1000 clients.
- Ranked in the Top 10—M&A transactions: Thomson Reuters, Mergermarket, Bloomberg, and Buyouts (2014).
Ranked as a leading firm by Chambers USA 2013 in the following areas:
- Buyouts and Venture Capital
- Energy: Electricity Transactional; Energy: Oil & Gas; and Projects: Renewables and Alternative Energy
- Financial Services Regulation
- Investment Funds: Hedge Funds
- Investment Funds: Private Equity—Fund Formation
- Transactional firm U.S.-wide and in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and California
- Ranked as one of the top law firms in Corporate Counsel magazine’s 2014 listing of “Who Represents America’s Biggest Companies?”
- Ranked No. 1 in the Mid-Atlantic region—2012 Vault Guide to the Top 100 Law Firms. Ranked in the Top 10 by The Deal, which consistently ranks Morgan Lewis in the Top 10 practices active in the corporate bankruptcy area, based on active bankruptcy cases.
- Ranked the No. 1 Most Active Law Firm globally based on the number of private funds worked on for limited partners in the Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst (2010-2013).
Global Practice Rankings
Morgan Lewis regularly ranks among the top transactional law firms globally. The following are selected results:
- Ranked as a first-tier firm in energy and natural resources in Russia/CIS by Chambers Global and Legal 500 EMEA.
- Magazine des Affairs: Ranked in the top tier for venture capital, the second tier for fund formation, and the third tier for private equity (2013).
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers in B&F (1995–2014).
- Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters: Top 20 firm for UK M&A (2011-2012).
- Legal Business: Finance Team of the Year (2012).
- Euroweek: Leveraged Finance Deal of the Year (2012).
- The Deal: named Morgan Lewis as a “Top 10 Most Active Law Firm: Corporate Bankruptcy” based on the number of active cases (2012).
- Winner, Latin Lawyer's 6th Annual Deal of the Year Awards: Restructuring Category (2012).
- Morgan Lewis is consistently recognized by Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America as a leader in Latin America for corporate/M&A and projects.
- Latin America team attorneys are consistently recognized by Chambers Global, Chambers Latin America, and Chambers USA for their track record of success in M&A and energy transactions in the region.
- Morgan Lewis is consistently recognized by the Latin Lawyer 250 as a leading law firm in Latin America.
- Morgan Lewis ranked the No. 1 Most Active Law Firm globally based on the number of private equity funds worked on for general and limited partners (Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst, 2013).