For More Information
Morgan Lewis counsels clients in protection, licensing, and transfer of copyrights in all fields, including advertising, printed publications, computer software, semiconductor chips, photography, artwork, librettos, films, dolls, sculpture, and jewelry.
Our lawyers regularly:
- Resolve "work made for hire" issues to ensure that our clients own the copyrights to works they pay to develop.
- Counsel on application of fair use principles in the context of new media and Internet technologies.
- Advise on photocopying and scanning.
- Negotiate and draft complex copyright development, transfer, and licensing agreements.
- Counsel clients on whether a particular work may be in the public domain.
- Counsel on the interface between copyright and competition law in the EU.
- Provide tax advice when a client acquires, sells, or licenses intellectual property.
- Address emerging issues raised by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
When necessary, Morgan Lewis litigates in federal court regarding the rights, remedies and practices under the U.S. Copyright Act (both the 1976 Act, as amended, and the 1909 Act, which still applies to many works).