FCC Regulation Affecting Electric and Gas Utility Companies
In this webinar, Morgan Lewis of counsel Brett Snyder discussed Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulation of electric and natural gas utilities.
The webinar covered the FCC’s pre-approval requirements for transactions involving companies holding wireless licenses, which are commonly utilized by utilities to support operations, as well as the FCC’s revised rules relating to utility pole attachments by telecommunications and cable service providers.
The following issues were discussed:
- Wireless licenses and why utilities use them
- FCC approvals needed for asset transfers and corporate reorganizations
- Potential forfeitures for lack of proper authorization
- Statutory authority for FCC regulation of attachments to utility poles by telecommunications and cable service providers
- 2011 Pole Attachment Order
- New timelines and other requirements for utilities
- New attachment rate formula
- Pole attachment complaints