Global Benefits Practice
Morgan Lewis’s 22 offices around the world enable us to provide efficient, high-quality service to our clients with international operations. Our lawyers routinely advise clients with international operations in connection with equity compensation programs, executive compensation, employment agreements, severance benefits and other issues that arise in connection with global transactions.
It is typical for our U.S. lawyers to work closely on equity compensation and other projects with lawyers in our London and Brussels offices who have substantial expertise in connection with the legal requirements and practices of the EU. Similarly, we have lawyers with substantial experience working with the legal requirements of Latin American countries. When working on transactions and other projects that involve countries in which Morgan Lewis does not have offices, we work with a network of trusted local counsel.
Our areas of focus in international benefits include:
- Assisting U.S. companies in structuring global stock option and other equity compensation plans for employees, taking into account the legal requirements and customs of each country.
- Advising U.S. subsidiaries of non-U.S. corporations with respect to equity compensation and executive compensation arrangements for U.S. employees that coordinate with the objectives of the parent company’s global programs.
- Drafting and negotiating employment agreements, consulting arrangements, and confidentiality and noncompetition agreements for employees.
- Advising clients with respect to terminations of employment, severance obligations, and settlement arrangements.
- Coordinating and negotiating the employee aspects of global mergers, acquisitions, and spin-offs.