International Arbitration Selected Representations
For More Information
David J. Levy
Partner - New York, Houston
Partner - London
Partner - London
David W. Marston Jr.
Partner - Philadelphia
International Partner - Moscow
Laurie E. Foster
Partner - New York
Partner - Paris
William P. Quinn, Jr.
Partner - Philadelphia
Venues of Arbitration
Aviation and aerospace
Electronics and manufacturing
Energy and natural resources
Insurance and reinsurance
International trade and contract
- Advised a Cyprus-based company, beneficially owned by a prominent Russian businessman, in a dispute with an offshore counterparty. The arbitral tribunal granted extraordinary confidentiality measures and introduced pseudonyms that allowed our client to present the full story to the tribunal without risking public disclosure.
- Advised the seismology arm of an international energy company concerning claims for unpaid commissions alleged to have arisen under certain consultancy agreements that relate to business interests in the Middle East.
- Represented a government and its state-owned electricity utility in a case regarding a long-term power-purchase agreement.
- Secured more than $91 million for a Japanese pharmaceutical firm in a breach of license arbitration against a U.S.-based pharmaceutical firm.
- Represented a large multinational oil company’s subsidiary in Africa in an arbitration that arose out of a catering and maintenance agreement with a UK-based multinational company.
- Represented a Mexican producer of industrial phosphate products in resolving a complex dispute that involved interpreting an international sales agreement with a Moroccan phosphate rock mining company.
- Defended a Mexican seller in an arbitration brought by an Argentinean buyer and based on a negotiated, but unsigned, long-term supply contract.
- Represented a Spanish construction company adverse to a government-held entity in an arbitration related to the construction of the largest power plant in North Africa.
- Represented a European industrial consortium in enforcing an arbitration award against a Taiwanese consortium that includes the leading Asian container-shipping company. The enforcement involved seizing and attaching a container transport vessel that belonged to the Asian container-shipping company.
- Represented a German airline company in an arbitration against a Mexican airline company related to the misperformance of an aircraft sales contract.
- Represented a government-held energy entity against a foreign company in an arbitration related to the construction of electric lines in North Africa.
- Represented a leading U.S. automotive group against a French automotive equipment supplier in an arbitration related to terminating supply agreements.
- Represented a leading French energy company against a state-owned gas company in an arbitration related to the construction of turbo compressors for a power plant in North Africa.
- Represented a leading Spanish construction company in an arbitration adverse to a Moroccan real estate company related to a luxury building construction project in Morocco.
- Represented the beneficial owners, based in the former Soviet Union, of a Central Asian telecommunications company in an arbitration that arose from a joint venture dispute relating to the company’s ownership, including obtaining a Commercial Court injunction on assets and enforcing the injunction in the British Virgin Islands.
- Represented a Lebanese telecommunications company in relation to a dispute with local shareholders regarding the ownership of a Ghanaian mobile phone company. The matter also involved litigation and presenting the case to the Supreme Court in Ghana.
- Advised a large private equity firm as claimant in an arbitration relating to its investment in a multinational manufacturing business.
- Advised an international energy company in an arbitration that arose from a joint venture project in Africa and a related arbitration in Texas.
- Defended a major Northern European oil company in an LCIA arbitration regarding a claim for damages that arose from a stable gas condensate contract.
- Prevailed in a multimillion-dollar arbitration before the Netherlands Arbitration Institute that arose from the failure of U.S. private equity funds to consummate a purchase from a Swedish multinational corporation of manufacturing subsidiaries in Italy, Japan, and the United States.
- Represented a European containerized shipping company in ICDR arbitration of a $100 million post-acquisition dispute involving a purchase price adjustment.
- Represented a Polish private equity fund in a UNCITRAL arbitration relating to an exit dispute that followed the financial crash of 2008 after the fund invested in a joint venture with an individual to invest in a steel foundry.
- Represented an English power company in an arbitration with its turbine suppliers for supplying turbines with alleged design defects and defective workmanship.
- Advised a multinational supplier of technology to oil and gas industry in $12 million UNCITRAL arbitration involving claims of breach of contract, deceit, and fraud in alliance agreement involving aquifer storage and recovery projects in the middle east; successfully obtained dismissal of all claims.