Morgan Lewis litigators have represented owners, asset managers and lenders in some of the most significant cases in the hospitality industry, including matters involving virtually every major operating company.
Recent engagements include:
- Obtaining a trial verdict in favor of a joint venture participant’s right of first refusal.
- Enforcing lease termination rights against a large international hotel operator.
- Resolution of a dispute on behalf of a hotel owner regarding the integration of two hotel brands and the use of proprietary guest and reservations information.
- Litigation of mortgage subordination issues on behalf of a REIT.
- Resolution of a dispute regarding an owner’s termination of a management contract for a boutique hotel property, and advice regarding transition to new management.
- Resolution of an encroachment dispute involving a major hotel brand’s planned development of new hotel properties in Orlando, Florida.
Morgan Lewis litigators also have successfully represented hotel owners in international dispute resolution, including the following recent engagements:
- Representation of a hotel developer against a foreign government in an ICSID arbitration in connection with the alleged expropriation of the hotel investment and the cancellation of an investment license.
- Served as AAA arbitrator of commercial dispute over the operation of a hotel, casino and power plant at a resort in the Dominican Republic.
Many of our successes, however, come well before any litigation becomes necessary. We pride ourselves on our knowledge of hotel industry practices and our ability to advise clients on business-oriented strategies. Hotel owners call on us for assistance with a broad array of challenging issues germane to the hospitality industry, including management contract, franchise, joint venture and lender issues. What distinguishes Morgan Lewis is our proven ability to bring the right people together, from offices around the globe, to formulate and execute effective legal action plans.