National Trial and Coordinating Counsel
For More Information
- Ranked as one of the top law firms in Corporate Counsel magazine's 2010 listing of "Who Represents America’s Biggest Companies?"
- Ranked as the "busiest" class action practice in the United States by Law360 Litigation Almanac (2009)
- 10 lawyers named fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Chambers USA 2009 ranked six partners from the Litigation Practice in national categories, with 33 partners listed across all practice areas
- One of only three firms to be listed in every edition of the BTI Consulting Group's Client Service 30
Drawing on our longstanding national networks of local trial counsel and experts, Morgan Lewis attorneys have successfully served as national coordinating and trial counsel for everything from mass torts to class actions to serial litigation.
In a time when the legal complexities of the business world are increasing exponentially, the role of national trial and coordinating counsel has taken on greater significance.
Without the right partner to help manage mass litigation, companies often find themselves facing out-of-control defense and indemnity costs, unexpected plaintiff's verdicts, unfavorable publicity, and misdirection of their legal department's valuable time and resources.
Fully apprised of the legal, business, regulatory, and economic factors at work in mass litigation, Morgan Lewis has the experience and resources to provide:
- Consistent national representation
- Judicious risk management
- Optimal use of national networks of talent and experience
- Active collaboration with a national team of in-house, regional, and local defense counsel.
Whether through full-scale trial litigation or client-favorable settlement, we work seamlessly with defense counsel across the country, operating in different models of national counsel as needed to meet our clients' legal and business objectives.
We offer a consistent national representation. Based in 16 offices throughout the United States, we have a broad platform from which to work across a number of jurisdictions.
- National Networks - Throughout our years of coordinating national litigation, we are fortunate to have developed contacts and relationships with skilled, experienced, and trial-ready counsel throughout the country. Our national network of product-liability lawyers has litigated cases in 49 states.
- Seamless Collaboration with Other Defense Teams - We collaborate seamlessly with in-house, regional, and local counsel to identify the most serious cases. Our "virtual law firm" model has been successful in aiding development of expert witnesses, sharing discovery duties, and testing themes through mock trials.
- Long-Term Strategy - We work cohesively with all defense counsel, crafting a strategy with them that encompasses all possible effects of the case on a client company's financial health, reputation, and product life.
- Cutting-Edge Resources - We team with skilled counsel throughout the country for the latest scientific information, experts, and difficult-to-obtain materials.
Credible Trial Threat
We are a litigation team that actually tries cases; we've earned our renown as a credible, formidable trial threat. While every law firm has litigators, we employ trial lawyers whose background and financial savvy match their courtroom zeal.
- Trial-Ready Teams – Our trial "bench strength" includes former federal and state prosecutors, members of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and instructors of renowned trial advocacy programs.
- First-Chair Experience – We are one of the most knowledgeable and respected groups of trial lawyers in the country, delivering for our clients in instances where they decide to try a series of carefully selected cases to verdict—even if those trials occur simultaneously.
Discovery Best Practices
Our industry-leading eData team conducts scrupulously accurate and cost- and time-efficient document production, backed by client-customized, easily accessible information storage applications. Their cutting-edge technology also offers extranet solutions for informed, centralized case management.
Morgan Lewis attorneys have successfully taken over caseloads previously led by other counsel, including cases that are at the mid-trial point. Regardless of when we are brought in, we retain our ability to quickly marshal a team of knowledgeable litigators and trial lawyers, organize defenses by jurisdiction, and prove a formidable presence in the courtroom.