honors + affiliations
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Orange County Chapter, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Member, Federal Bar Association of Orange County
Member, Orange County Bar Association
Listed, Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star, Law & Politics (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California
Todd W. Smith is an associate in Morgan Lewis's Litigation Practice. Mr. Smith focuses his practice on complex business litigation, including securities class actions, shareholder and derivative litigation, SEC enforcement actions, regulatory investigations, white collar criminal matters, trade secret and unfair competition claims, and professional liability
Mr. Smith has experience in all stages of litigation, at both the state and federal level, including applications for emergency injunctive relief, complex factual and legal research, written discovery and depositions, pretrial motions and ex parte applications, expert testimony, trial preparation, trial, settlement and alternative dispute resolution, appellate briefing, and post-judgment enforcement proceedings.
Mr. Smith earned his J.D. from the University of Southern California Law School in 2002, where he was on the board of the Southern California Law Review and received the Norma J. Zarky Memorial Award for excellence in legal writing in the field of entertainment law. He earned his B.S., with honors, in biology from the University of California, San Diego in 1995.
Mr. Smith is admitted to practice in California and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California.
Note: This list includes transactions that were not completed at Morgan Lewis.
- Represented an online commerce company in litigation brought by shareholders to enjoin the company's $2.4 billion merger.
- Represented a financial services company in connection with regulatory issues stemming from the mortgage crisis.
- Represented the former CEO/chairman of a public semiconductor company in a federal securities class action lawsuit involving stock option backdating.
- Represented a law firm in a legal malpractice action for alleged failure to properly tender an insurance claim.
- Represented the former general counsel of a major healthcare company in an SEC investigation.
- Successfully recovered several million dollars on behalf of a high-profile business executive who had been the victim of complex white collar fraud.
- Represented a major audit firm in an arbitration against a former client, a publicly traded semiconductor company.
- Successfully opposed an emergency application for a temporary restraining order brought against a bridge lender by a competing creditor.
- Represented an employer against former employees for theft and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented an LCD television manufacturer against claims of patent infringement.
- University of Southern California Law School, 2002, J.D.
- University of California, San Diego, 1995, B.S., With Honors