- International Antitrust
- General Counseling & Distribution
- Intellectual Property & Antitrust
- Government & Private Antitrust Litigation & Investigations
- Regulated Industries
- Mergers & Acquisitions / Premerger Notification
- Washington Strategic Government Relations and Counseling
- Advertising, Consumer Protection, & Privacy
- Life Sciences
- Cartel Investigations & Litigation: Criminal & Civil
honors + affiliations
Vice Chairman, Trial Practice Committee, Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association (2012–present)
Chairman, Business Torts & Civil RICO Committee, Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association (2009–2012)
Vice Chairman, Business Torts & Civil RICO Committee, Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association (2006–2009)
Vice Chairman, Books & Treatises Committee, Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association (2003–2006)
Distinguished Practitioner in Residence, Cornell Law School (2008)
Recipient, FTC Meritorious Service Award (2007)
Recipient, FTC Janet D. Steiger Award (2008)
Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Washington, D.C.
1111 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004-2541
Thomas J. Lang is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Antitrust Practice. Mr. Lang focuses his practice on antitrust litigation and merger reviews. His litigation experience includes class actions, price fixing, predatory pricing, intellectual-property-related antitrust issues, monopolization, state court indirect purchaser litigation, federal multidistrict litigation, and civil and criminal investigations by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Department of Justice (DOJ).
From 2006 to 2008, Mr. Lang served as Senior Litigation Counsel in the FTC's Bureau of Competition. In this position, he led FTC trial teams in several high-profile FTC merger matters, including challenges to mergers in the healthcare (FTC v. Inova Health Systems), gasoline refining (FTC v. Foster), and supermarket (FTC v. Whole Foods Markets) industries.
Immediately before serving at the FTC, Mr. Lang was a partner in the antitrust and competition practice of an international law firm, working out of the firm's Washington, D.C. office. While in private practice, Mr. Lang represented domestic and international clients in complex class action, multidistrict, and indirect purchaser antitrust litigation. Mr. Lang began his legal career at Morgan Lewis in 1995.
Representative matters in private practice include:
- In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation, MDL-1285 (D.D.C.)
- In re Plastics Additives Antitrust Litigation, MDL-1684 (E.D.Pa.)
- In re Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) Antitrust Litigation, MDL-1486 (N.D.Cal.)
- In re Magnetic Audiotape Antitrust Litigation (S.D.N.Y.)
- In re Toys "R" Us Antitrust Litigation (E.D.N.Y.)
- In re Children's Ibuprofen Antitrust Litigation (D.D.C.)
- In re Aftermarket Automotive Lighting Products Antitrust Litig., MDL-2007 (C.D. Cal.)
- Empagran, S.A. v. F. Hoffman-Laroche Ltd., et al (D.D.C.)
Mr. Lang taught a class titled Antitrust Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions as Cornell Law School's Distinguished Practitioner in Residence during the Fall 2008 semester. He has served as antitrust counsel for international clients in several multi-jurisdictional mergers. He has written numerous articles on antitrust issues and has also provided commentary on a variety of antitrust topics on numerous ABA and law school panels.
Mr. Lang has served in the leadership of the Antitrust Law Section of the ABA continuously since 2003 and is currently a Vice Chair of the Trial Practice Committee. He was previously a Vice Chair and Chair of the Business Torts & Civil RICO Committee and is a former Vice Chair of the Books & Treatises Committee.
From 1991 to 1992, Mr. Lang was a professional staff member on the U.S. Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs. He also served for 15 years as a Military Intelligence Officer in the U.S. Army Reserves and Army National Guard, rising to the rank of Major.
Mr. Lang earned his J.D. from Cornell Law School in 1995, his M.A. in national security studies from Georgetown University in 1992, and his A.B. in politics from Princeton University in 1988.
Mr. Lang is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and New York and before the U.S. Supreme Court.
2006年至2008年期间，郎先生曾在联邦贸易委员会的反不竞争局担任高级诉讼顾问。在任期间，他曾率领联邦贸易委员会的调查组对数起著名的进行合并前调查，其中包括对医疗保健(联邦贸易委员会诉Inova Health Systems)、汽油精炼(联邦贸易委员会诉Foster)和超市(联邦贸易委员会诉Whole Food Supermarket)等行业提起的诉讼。
- Cornell Law School, 1995, J.D.
- Georgetown University, 1992, M.A.
- Princeton University, 1988, A.B.