honors + affiliations
Member, American Bar Association
Member, ABA Task Force on Model Deposit Account Control Agreement
Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
Member, Boston Bar Association
Adjunct Faculty, Suffolk University Law School, Secured Transactions (2004–2009)
Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2009–2013)
Listed, The Best Lawyers in America (2008–2011)
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
Matthew Furlong is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business & Finance Practice. Mr. Furlong represents leading banks, finance companies, hedge funds, and borrowers in a range of finance and business matters, including domestic and international debt financings, debt restructurings, asset-based credit facilities, second lien credit facilities, acquisition and retail finance, and multinational credit facilities.
Mr. Furlong has worked extensively in the retail, restaurant, manufacturing, and transportation industries. He has counseled clients on sports finance matters, in which he has advised borrowers (including major-league baseball, football, and hockey teams) and lenders in financings and restructurings.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Furlong was a partner in the banking and leveraged finance group at an international law firm.
Mr. Furlong received his J.D., magna cum laude, from Boston College Law School in 1994 and his B.A., cum laude, from the University of Chicago in 1989.
Mr. Furlong is admitted to practice in Massachusetts and before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
- Represented a national lending institution as an agent in a $70 million credit facility to a domestic textile manufacturer and in an $80 million acquisition credit facility to a U.S. and Canadian industrial manufacturer.
- Represented a national lending institution as an agent in a $140 million credit facility to a Puerto Rican cable system operator.
- Represented a major-league baseball team in a $350 million acquisition financing and in a $250 million stadium securitization financing.
- Represented a national lending institution as an agent in a $370 million acquisition credit facility of a life insurer.
- Represented a mezzanine fund in mezzanine financing transactions to a chemical manufacturer, a stone processing company, and a multinational battery producer.
- Represented the retail finance division of a leading lending institution in a DIP financing facility to a consumer electronics retailer.
- Represented a high-yield fund in a $92 million second lien loan to a sporting goods retailer and in a $40 million second lien loan to a carpet manufacturer.
- Represented the commercial finance division of a major U.S. conglomerate in a $700 million credit facility to a home products retailer.
- Represented an investment fund in a $26 million second lien credit facility to a leading international engine supplier and in a $50 million second lien credit facility to a major marketing firm.
- Represented an investment fund in a $15 million second lien credit facility to a legal document services firm.
- Boston College Law School, 1994, J.D., Magna Cum Laude
- University of Chicago, 1989, B.A., Cum Laude