honors + affiliations
Managing Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform
Listed, The Legal 500 United States (2012)
- New York
Jonathan D. Morris is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice, a member of the firm's Private Equity Practice, Mergers and Acquisitions Practice and Energy Transactions Practice, vice-chairman of the recruiting committee for the New York office and a member of the firm's diversity committee. Mr. Morris' practice focuses on domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions. He also advises clients on joint ventures, strategic alliances, private placements, commercial contracts, and general corporate and compliance matters.
Mr. Morris has been involved in a wide range of transactions, including those involving both publicly traded and privately held corporations, and has represented both strategic and financial acquirers and targets. He has advised clients across numerous industries, including energy and infrastructure, food and beverage, media, and financial services.Mr. Morris is admitted to practice in New York.
Energy and Infrastructure Transactions
- Highstar Capital in its acquisition of two combined cycle natural gas power generation facilities from LS Power
- Highstar Capital in its acquisition of one combined cycle natural gas power generation facility and two peaker plants from Harbert Infrastructure
- Highstar Capital in the sale of Utilities, Inc., a regulated water and wastewater company
- National Grid in connection with its investment in Clean Line Energy, a developer of high voltage direct current (HVDC) long-haul transmission lines
- A.P. Moller-Maersk Group in the sale of its Direct ChassisLink subsidiary
- Transforce Corporation, a transportation and logistics provider, in its acquisition of Dynamex, a Nasdaq listed company
- Quintana Maritime, a Nasdaq listed company, in its sale to Excel Maritime
Food and Beverage
- The world's leading premium drinks business in its acquisition of a flavored whiskey brand
- Kraft Foods in the sale of its Balance Bar business
- Dr Pepper/Seven-Up Bottling Group in the acquisition of several independent bottlers and distributors
- Pearson plc in its acquisition of eCollege.com, a Nasdaq listed company
- United Business Media in its acquisitions of Canon Communications, Techonline, Shorecliff Communications, U.S. Newswire, Portelligent and Vision Events
- Morgan Stanley in its equity investment in electronic trading solutions provider SR Labs and the subsequent recapitalization of SR Labs in connection with an investment by Insight Venture Partners
- Morgan Stanley in its equity investment in Nairobi, Kenya-based eleni LLC, an industry leader in building and investing in commodity exchanges in frontier economies in Africa and Asia.
- An investor consortium including Morgan Stanley, Knight Capital, the International Securities Exchange, and Susquehanna Growth Equity in their investment in Ballista Alternative Trading
- Morgan Stanley in the sale of its ownership interest in the Philadelphia Stock Exchange to NASDAQ
- Morgan Stanley in its acquisition of a minority interest in Kapow Technologies
- RGM Advisors, a high frequency proprietary trading firm, in its acquisition of Blinkbox
- RGM Advisors in its sale of a minority interest to TA Advisors
- Apollo Management in its acquisition of Claire's Stores, an NYSE listed company
- Apollo Management in its acquisition of CKE Restaurants, an NYSE listed company
- Sun Capital Partners in its acquisition of Friendly Ice Cream Corporation, an NASDAQ listed company
- LEO Pharma in connection with its acquisition of certain products and related distribution rights from Warner Chilcott
- Sierra Health Services, an NYSE listed company, in its sale to UnitedHealth
- Security Capital Corporation, an AMEX listed company, in its sale to Fidelity National
- Sekisui Chemical Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of Celanese's polyvinyl alcohol business
- Toyota Motor Corporation in its investment in, and joint alliance with, Tesla Motors for the future production of electric vehicles
- University of Michigan Law School, 1998, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, 1995, B.A.