honors + affiliations
Member, Defense Research Institute (Committees on Class Actions, Trial Tactics, Product Liability, and Commercial Litigation)
Member, American Bar Association (Committees on Trial Practice, Class Action and Derivative Suits, Products Liability, and Mass Torts)
Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
Member, Philadelphia Bar Association (Professional Responsibility and Class Action Committees)
Member, American Philosophical Association
Thomas J. Sullivan is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Litigation Practice. Mr. Sullivan's practice encompasses a variety of commercial and product liability litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts, and focuses on the defense of class actions, mass torts, and other complex commercial litigation. He has represented corporations in numerous types of class actions, including consumer fraud, antitrust and unfair competition, RICO, ERISA, and securities. He has defended corporations in a number of product liability and mass tort cases including as lead national counsel.
Mr. Sullivan has a wide range of commercial litigation experience, including experience representing life sciences companies in health care fraud cases, False Claims Act litigation, disputes regarding collaboration and development agreements, and against deceptive marketing claims. He also frequently represents corporations in disputes relating to real estate and indemnity obligations. Mr. Sullivan speaks and writes about issues in class action litigation, federal jurisdiction, and the life sciences, and is a member of the firm's class action and commercial litigation steering committees.
Mr. Sullivan is a member of various national and local bar associations, including the Philadelphia Bar Association, American Bar Association, Defense Research Institute, and the University of Pennsylvania Inn of Court. He is also active in the firm's pro bono practice, handling professional responsibility and legal ethics matters. Mr. Sullivan is also a board member of several nonprofit organizations in the Philadelphia area.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Sullivan served a federal clerkship with Judge Anita B. Brody of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Sullivan earned his Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Pennsylvania in 2003, where he received the University's Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award. He has written in the areas of privacy law and constitutional theory. Mr. Sullivan received his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 2001 and his M.A., with highest distinction, in moral, political, and legal philosophy from the University of Reading, England, in 1996. He earned his B.A., cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, in philosophy from the College of the Holy Cross in 1995.
Mr. Sullivan is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.
- Representation of mortgage services company in litigation arising out of trade secret dispute and indemnity obligations.
- Representation of nationwide condominium developer in numerous cases alleging fraudulent disclosures regarding building conditions and construction defects.
- Representation of golf resort developer in litigation regarding alleged land use violations.
- Representation of a mortgage services company in litigation alleging breach of loan agreement.
- Representation of a life sciences company regarding allegations of breach of a brokerage services agreement for sale of ongoing business operations.
- Representation of a healthcare insurer in consumer fraud and ERISA class action alleging improper application of deductible and co-pays.
- Representation of pipe manufacturer in consumer fraud and product liability class action.
- Representation of a building developer in class action alleging RICO violations and breach of contract claims.
- Representation of an insurer in nationwide class action alleging violations of ERISA.
- Representation of a nationwide pharmacy in consumer fraud class action relating to prescription drug benefit program.
- Representation of a life sciences company in a qui tam case involving allegations of False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Act violations.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in cases brought by state attorneys general nationwide alleging deceptive marketing claims and violations of state false claims acts.
- Representation of a medical device company concerning contractual indemnity provisions relating to function of device and obligations and rights in patent litigation.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company concerning breach of collaboration agreement.
- Provided counseling to numerous clients regarding litigation risks of collaboration and development agreements.
Products Liability/Mass Torts
- Representation of a food flavoring company in serial toxic tort litigation alleging personal injuries.
- Represents a pipe manufacturing company as lead national counsel alleging defective design and failure to warn.
- Representation of medical device company in case alleging that device caused personal injuries.
- Representation of drywall manufacturer in cases alleging property damage.
- University of Pennsylvania, 2003, Ph.D. (Philosophy)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2001, J.D., Cum Laude
- University of Reading, England, 1996, M.A. (Philosophy), With Highest Distinction
- College of the Holy Cross, 1995, B.A., Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa