honors + affiliations
Former Member, Board of Directors, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Maryland (2001-2004)
- District of Columbia
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
Steven A. Luxton is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Litigation Practice. Mr. Luxton focuses his practice on the areas of product liability, complex mass tort and toxic tort litigation, and commercial litigation. He has represented a wide array of clients ranging from large corporations to small businesses in state and federal courts and has tried cases throughout the country.
His litigation experience includes all phases of discovery and trial. Mr. Luxton has taken and defended hundreds of fact and expert witness depositions; briefed and argued complex motions and state and administrative appeals; and tried both bench and jury trials involving a broad range of issues including product liability, personal injury, and commercial disputes.
In his mass tort and toxic tort practice, he has successfully defended a wide variety of corporate clients in claims involving exposure to solvents, asbestos, silica, and numerous other substances. In his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Luxton has represented companies and individuals in a diverse array of business disputes involving tortious interference with business relationships, contractual disputes, and fraud.
Mr. Luxton received his LL.M., with high honors, in litigation and dispute resolution at George Washington University Law School. He received his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Baltimore School of Law, where he was a member of the University of Baltimore Law Review. He received his B.A. in political science and policy management studies from Dickinson College. After law school, Mr. Luxton served as a law clerk to Judge Robert E. Cadigan of the Circuit Court for Baltimore County. Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Luxton practiced in the litigation department of several prominent law firms in Baltimore.
Mr. Luxton is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia, Texas, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia.
- Ongoing representation of oil field services company in Deepwater Horizon litigation currently pending in federal MDL.
- Ongoing representation of Fortune 500 company in defense of hundreds of consolidated toxic tort negligence actions in Baltimore City and the District of Columbia.
- Served as lead counsel and negotiated favorable settlement for nation's largest manufacturer of air-cooled heat exchangers in negligence and breach of contract action filed in federal court.
- Successfully obtained directed verdict as lead counsel in fraud jury trial in Maryland state court on behalf of commercial business owner.
- Served as lead counsel in breach of contract case stemming from multimillion-dollar business dispute and negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of the defendant.
- Secured jury verdict on behalf of an individual defendant in negligence action filed in the District of Columbia Superior Court against multiple defendants.
- Represented national corporation in five-week toxic tort jury trial in Baltimore City involving over twenty plaintiffs. Successfully argued numerous motions before and during trial and assisted in securing mistrial for the defense.
- Represented railroad defendants in numerous negligence actions brought in Maryland state and federal court, successfully trying several cases to verdict.
- Successfully represented pro bono clients in Maryland and DC courts in cases involving landlord-tenant disputes.
- Represented numerous health care providers in multimillion-dollar wrongful death and medical malpractice actions in Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- Obtained injunctive relief and temporary restraining order for national financial corporation in Maryland state court action.
- Represented Fortune 500 corporate plaintiff in legal malpractice action filed in federal court in Maryland.
- Involvement in significant aspects of the defense of large pharmaceutical company in MDL proceeding pending in federal court in Florida.
- George Washington University Law School, 2008, LL.M. (Litigation and Dispute Resolution), With High Honors
- University of Baltimore School of Law, 1998, J.D., Magna Cum Laude
- Dickinson College, 1995, B.A.