- Business & Finance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Cross-Border M&A
- Energy Transactions
- Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Private Equity M&A
- Real Estate Finance
- Private Equity
- Electric Energy
- Oil & Gas
- Renewable Energy, Clean Technology, & Sustainability
- Real Estate
- Development & Construction
- Real Estate Partnerships & Joint Ventures
- Latin America
honors + affiliations
- New York
Rodrigo Dominguez Sotomayor is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Dominguez's practice consists primarily in domestic and cross border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances, real estate, and general corporate matters in a variety of industries in the United States and throughout Latin-America. He has also counseled U.S. companies on a wide variety of employment matters in Latin-America related to compensation and termination of directors, executives, and senior management in general.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Dominguez Sotomayor worked for the Latin American practice group of an international law firm, representing U.S. and European clients with interests in Latin America. Prior to that, he worked at a major law firm in Mexico City.
Mr. Dominguez Sotomayor's publications include "The Future of Private Equity in Mexico," published in Latin Lawyer (May 2007). He was on the board of directors for the Hispanic Bar Association in 2008 and 2009, and is currently the assistant secretary for the Mexican Businessmen Board of Houston.
Mr. Dominguez Sotomayor received his LL.M., with honors, from Northwestern University School of Law in 2005 and his J.D. from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM) in 2003. Spanish is his first language, and he is fluent in English.
Mr. Dominguez Sotomayor is admitted to practice in Texas, New York, and Mexico.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
Energy and Mining
- Represented a North American gas supply company in its acquisition of an 80 percent equity interest in a pipeline company with a proposed project consisting of the construction of two pipelines from Texas to Mexico and an underground natural gas storage facility in Tamaulipas, Mexico.
- Representing a U.S. energy company with respect to a proposed cross-border power management and natural gas supply transaction related to a power generation project consisting of a combined cycle power plant, a solar plant, and auxiliary facilities in Mexico.
- Represented a U.S. energy company in its acquisition of land, financing, and development of a bio-fuels production facility in Guatemala.
- Advised a global diversified resources company on the preparation of a risk matrix, analysis of bid documents (including proposed contract), and compliance of Mexican regulatory framework in connection with a proposed tender process for the supply of liquefied natural gas to the Mexican Comision Federal de Electricidad.
- Represented a major multinational minerals company in its proposed acquisition of two coal mines and a coal loading port in Colombia.
- Represented a Mexican chemical company in administrative proceedings and government procurement processes with Petróleos Mexicanos.
- Represented the audit committee of a publicly traded oil and gas company in the review of its internal controls and reporting models.
- Representing an operator of mining properties in a multi-million acquisition of mineral rights in Central America.
Foods and Beverage
- Represented a global manufacturing and distributor of consumer foods in the sale of its subsidiary in the Dominican Republic.
- Represented one of the largest U.S. bottling companies in its $900 million acquisition of Mexico's second largest bottling company.
- Representing a Mexican conglomerate in the registration and distribution of food products in the United States.
- Representing a Mexican agro-industrial group in a multi-million equity joint-venture for harvesting and distribution of hydroponic produce in the United States.
- Represented a Costa Rican restaurant chain in general corporate matters and its expansion to the United States.
- Advised a global manufacturer of medical devices with its distribution agreements, regulatory compliance, and product registrations in Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, and Venezuela.
- Represented a U.S. drug manufacturer in its $250 million proposed acquisition of one of Mexico's largest drug retailers.
- Advised a multinational manufacturer of medical devices with regulatory compliance issues and registration of products in Mexico.
- Represented a medical supply company in the acquisition of Johnson & Johnson's wound care division and the integration of their divisions throughout Latin America including Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
- Represented a U.S. drugs manufacturer with its distribution program in Mexico.
- Representing a U.S. manufacturer of medical devices with its distribution program in Peru.
- Represented a multinational drug company in administrative proceedings with the Mexican Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social to challenge contract awards based on patent exclusivity.
- Represented a private equity fund with an aggregate investment of approximately $1 Billion to acquire real estate and develop midrise residential and commercial buildings throughout Latin-America, including Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay.
- Represented a Brazilian real estate conglomerate with corporate and tax reorganization of its U.S. subsidiary with a value of approximately $200 million.
- Represented one of the largest Mexican home building companies in general corporate and tax matters in connection with U.S. operations and registration of real estate projects for offering in the United States.
- Represented a global real estate investment distressed debt fund in the sale of its Mexican subsidiary.
- Represented an international luxury resort company in the negotiation of a real estate joint venture in the Dominican Republic.
- Represented an international luxury resort company in a potential libel claim in Cancun, Mexico.
- Represented an Australian retail and residential property group in the sale of its distressed debt portfolio and real estate assets in Los Cabos and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico to a Mexican institutional investor.
- Represented an Australian retail and residential property group in its proposed private placement of securities by its Mexican subsidiary among institutional investors.
- Represented a real estate company in the negotiation of a real estate joint venture with a Chilean developer for the purchase of a $40 million LEED Certified office building in Santiago, Chile.
- Represented an international luxury resort company in the negotiation of a multi-million real estate joint venture for the construction and development of a luxury resort in Costa Rica.
- Represented a Fortune 500 retailer in a build-to-suit lease for a 120,000-square-foot appliance manufacturing facility in Reynosa, Mexico.
Telecommunications, Logistics, and Media
- Represented the Mexican government in its proposed disposition of its ownership interest in Satelites Mexicanos, S.A. de C.V. (Satmex), Mexico's leading satellite operator and deliverer of video, audio, and data services to the Americas, to EchoStar Satellite Services, LLC, a subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation.
- Represented the Mexican Government in the pre-packaged Chapter 11 proceeding and $420 million high-yield offering and rights plan of Satmex.
- Advised a Fortune 50 global transportation, shipping, and logistics company in the integration and restructuring of its subsidiaries throughout Latin America.
- Represented the largest Spanish call-center operator in the negotiation of its call-center operation agreement with a U.S. bank and related U.S. corporate matters.
- Advised a U.S. manufacturer of safety devices for commercial, corporate, and military transportation in its expansion activities to Mexico.
- Represented the largest North American highway safety and traffic control company in the negotiation of a U.S. credit facility with BBVA Compass Bank.
- Represented the largest North American highway safety and traffic control company in the negotiation of different contracts, labor and employment matters and general corporate maintenance related with its operation in the U.S.
- Represented the largest North American highway safety and traffic control company in the acquisition of the traffic control division of Quixote Corporation.
- Represented the largest Mexican airline carrier in expansion activities in China.
- Representing the largest Mexican airline carrier in a range of contractual and general corporate issues in connection with its operation in the United States.
- Represented a Mexican low-cost airline carrier in general corporate issues in connection with its operation in the U.S.
- Represented a Mexican media company in a joint venture with a Latin-American company for the distribution of music productions in Mexico and Central America.
- Advised the largest U.S. software developer in the negotiation and sale of software licenses to the Mexican federal and state governments.
- Advised a U.S. media company on legal aspects of protection and transfer of data and e-commerce in Mexico.
- Advised a U.S. private fund in connection with its acquisition of global depository receipts representing stock of Mexico's largest media and entertainment company.
- Representing a Nasdaq traded software developer in general corporate and contractual matters in Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico.
- Represented a U.S. private equity fund in the $20 million proposed acquisition of a Peruvian aviation maintenance repair center.
- Represented a Fortune 500 home improvement retailer in its $450 million acquisition of a Mexican competitor.
- Represented a U.K. learning company in a $40 million equity joint venture for the development of on-line courses in Latin America.
- Represented a U.S. private equity fund in the issuance of a $230 million membership interest to a Mexican pension fund and a joint venture with a Mexican developer for the development of infrastructure projects in Mexico.
- Representing one of the largest Mexican retailers in general corporate matters in connection with its U.S. operations.
- Represented a Mexican retailer in the negotiation of a $120 million credit facility with a U.S. financial institution.
- Participated in the defense of a Latin American government in the defense of a multimillion, cross-border litigation related to an airplane crash.
- Advised a U.S. publicly traded company in the sale of its Mexican check-printing division.
- Represented a U.S. publicly traded textile company in the negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement between its Mexican subsidiary and a Mexican union.
- Northwestern University School of Law, 2005, LL.M., With Honors
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), 2003, J.D.