- Business & Finance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Cross-Border M&A
- Energy Transactions
- Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Private Equity M&A
- Real Estate Finance
- Private Equity
- Electric Energy
- Oil & Gas
- Renewable Energy, Clean Technology, & Sustainability
- Real Estate
- Development & Construction
- Real Estate Partnerships & Joint Ventures
- Latin America
- International Labor and Employment
honors + affiliations
Board of Directors, Hispanic Bar Association (2008–2009)
- New York
1000 Louisiana St., Suite 4000
Houston, TX 77002-5006
United States of America
Rodrigo Dominguez Sotomayor is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Dominguez's practice consists primarily in domestic and cross border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances, real estate, and general corporate matters in a variety of industries in the United States and throughout Latin-America.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Dominguez Sotomayor worked for the Latin American practice group of an international law firm, representing U.S. and European clients with interests in Latin America. Prior to that, he worked at a major law firm in Mexico City.
Mr. Dominguez Sotomayor's publications include "The Future of Private Equity in Mexico," published in Latin Lawyer (May 2007). He was on the board of directors for the Hispanic Bar Association in 2008 and 2009, and is currently the assistant secretary for the Mexican Businessmen Board of Houston.
Mr. Dominguez Sotomayor received his LL.M., with honors, from Northwestern University School of Law in 2005 and his J.D. from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM) in 2003. Spanish is his first language, and he is fluent in English.
Mr. Dominguez Sotomayor is admitted to practice in Texas, New York, and Mexico.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
- Represented a Mexican integrated oilfield services company in the acquisition of several drilling assets with an aggregate purchase price of approximately $800 million.
- Represented a Mexican integrated oilfield services company in a $38 million acquisition of an offshore drilling company with operations in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented a North American gas supply company in its acquisition of an 80 percent equity interest in a pipeline company with a proposed project consisting of the construction of two pipelines from Texas to Mexico and an underground natural gas storage facility in Tamaulipas, Mexico.
- Representing a U.S. energy company with respect to a proposed cross-border power management and natural gas supply transaction related to a power generation project consisting of a combined cycle power plant, a solar plant, and auxiliary facilities in Mexico.
- Represented a Mexican integrated oilfield services company in the negotiation of an operating and management agreement for certain offshore drilling units in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented a U.S. energy company in its acquisition of land, financing, and development of a bio-fuels production facility in Guatemala.
- Advised a global diversified resources company on the preparation of a risk matrix, analysis of bid documents (including proposed contract), and compliance of Mexican regulatory framework in connection with a proposed tender process for the supply of liquefied natural gas to the Mexican Comision Federal de Electricidad.
- Represented a major multinational minerals company in its proposed acquisition of two coal mines and a coal loading port in Colombia.
- Represented the audit committee of a publicly traded oil and gas company in the review of its internal controls and reporting models.
- Representing an operator of mining properties in a multi-million acquisition of mineral rights in Central America.
- Represented a private equity fund with an aggregate investment of approximately $1 Billion to acquire real estate and develop midrise residential and commercial buildings throughout Latin-America, including Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay.
- Represented a Brazilian real estate conglomerate with corporate and tax reorganization of its U.S. subsidiary with a value of approximately $200 million.
- Represented a Mexican developer of industrial properties in a $33 million equity joint venture with a U.S. private equity fund for the development of industrial properties in Central Mexico.
- Represented an Australian retail and residential property group in the sale of its distressed debt portfolio and real estate assets in Los Cabos and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico to a Mexican institutional investor.
- Represented a real estate company in the negotiation of a real estate joint venture with a Chilean developer for the purchase of a $40 million LEED Certified office building in Santiago, Chile.
- Represented an international luxury resort company in the negotiation of a multi-million real estate joint venture for the construction and development of a luxury resort in Costa Rica.
- Represented a Fortune 500 retailer in a build-to-suit lease for a 120,000-square-foot appliance manufacturing facility in Reynosa, Mexico.
Telecommunications, Logistics, and Media
- Represented the Mexican government in its proposed disposition of its ownership interest in Satelites Mexicanos, S.A. de C.V. (Satmex), Mexico's leading satellite operator and deliverer of video, audio, and data services to the Americas, to EchoStar Satellite Services, LLC, a subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation.
- Represented the Mexican Government in the pre-packaged Chapter 11 proceeding and $420 million high-yield offering and rights plan of Satmex.
- Represented the largest North American highway safety and traffic control company in the $20 million acquisition of the traffic control division of Quixote Corporation.
- Represented a Fortune 500 home improvement retailer in its $450 million acquisition of a Mexican competitor.
- Represented a U.K. learning company in a $40 million equity joint venture for the development of on-line courses in Latin America.
- Represented a U.S. private equity fund in the issuance of a $230 million membership interest to a Mexican pension fund and a joint venture with a Mexican developer for the development of infrastructure projects in Mexico.
- Represented a Mexican retailer in the negotiation of a $120 million credit facility with a U.S. financial institution.
- Northwestern University School of Law, 2005, LL.M., With Honors
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), 2003, J.D.