honors + affiliations
Recipient, International Law Office's Client Choice Award: "Russia M&A Lawyer of the Year" (2010)
Listed, Legal 500 (2012)—Leading Individual (Corporate and M&A, Russia)
Listed, Chambers Global (2012)—Band 1 (Corporate/M&A, Russia)
Listed, Chambers Europe: Europe's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012)
Former President, Moscow International Lawyers Group (1996–1998)
Editor-in-Chief, Harvard International Law Journal (1983–1984)
- England & Wales (Solicitor)
- California (U.S.)
- District Of Columbia (U.S.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Brian L. Zimbler is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice and Managing Partner of the firm's Moscow office. Mr. Zimbler focuses his practice on cross-border investment and financial matters, with an emphasis on emerging markets. His practice covers a wide range of industries, including energy and natural resources, manufacturing, retail and fast-moving consumer goods, real property, media, telecommunications, and technology.
Mr. Zimbler has more than 20 years of experience in matters dealing with Russia, Kazakhstan, and other countries of the former Soviet Union, and has advised on some of the largest foreign investments in the region during this time.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Zimbler was a partner in the corporate practice of another international law firm in its Moscow and London offices.
Mr. Zimbler earned his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School and his M.A.L.D. from Tufts University, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, both in 1986. He earned his A.B., magna cum laude, from Harvard University in 1980. Mr. Zimbler is fluent in Russian and French and proficient in Portuguese.
Mr. Zimbler is admitted to practice in England and Wales as a Solicitor, the state of California (U.S.), and the District of Columbia (U.S.) and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
- Advising a consortium of investors on the $625 million purchase of a 26% stake in OJSC Enel OGK-5, a leading Russian power producer.
- Advising one of the world's largest companies on a joint venture with Inter RAO and Russian Technologies to manufacture gas turbines in Russia.
- Advising one of the world's largest companies on a joint venture with Russian Technologies to manufacture sophisticated healthcare equipment in Russia.
- Acting for a leading Japanese manufacturer of construction and mining equipment in establishing a greenfield production facility in Tver, Russia, and obtaining related financing.
- Advising one of France's largest companies on a strategic joint venture with Transmashholding, Russia's largest producer of locomotives and rail cars, and JSC Russian Railways, the national railway company.
- Advising the world's largest canmaker on its acquisition of two Russian companies that manufacture aluminum cans, for total cash consideration of US$297 million (including assumed debt) from EN+ Group Limited.
- Advising a Swiss-listed investment fund on the sale of a majority stake in two prominent commercial properties in Moscow.
- Advising private equity funds on their investment in KupiVIP.ru, the leading Russian online shopping club.
- Advising a U.S. private equity fund on its investment in MDM Bank, a leading Russian bank.
- Advising one of China's leading companies on its acquisition of a 50% stake in JSC Mangistaumunaigas, a major oil producer in Kazakhstan, through a joint venture with KazMunaiGas.
- Advising one of China's leading companies on its $4 billion acquisition of PetroKazakhstan, a Canadian-listed company and prominent oil and gas producer in Kazakhstan.
- Acting for a leading international automotive parts supplier in establishing a manufacturing joint venture in Kaluga, Russia, with Russian steel major Severstal.
- Acting for a leading international automotive parts supplier in establishing a manufacturing joint venture in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Advising a private equity fund on its investment in UAB Palink, the second-largest food retailer in Lithuania.
- Advising a private equity fund on its investment in Amtel Holdings BV, a leading Russian tire manufacturer.
- Advising on the global settlement of a number of disputes between two major players in the Russian pulp and paper industry.
- Advising on intellectual property issues relating to the marketing and sale of Harry Potter books and merchandise in Russia, including antipiracy matters.
- Advising one of the world's leading software companies on a trademark infringement dispute with Russian software vendors, resulting in termination of the infringement.
- Advising one of the world's largest technology companies on its acquisition of a group of 600 Russian programmers and related assets.
- Tufts University, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, 1986, M.A.L.D.
- Harvard Law School, 1986, J.D., Cum Laude
- Harvard University, 1980, A.B., Magna Cum Laude