honors + affiliations
Listed, Chambers Latin America: Latin America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012–2013)
Listed, Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2010–2012)
Recipient, Empire State Counsel award, New York State Bar Association
Recipient, Champion of Civil Rights award, American Civil Liberties Union of Texas
- New York
1000 Louisiana St., Suite 4000
Houston, TX 77002-5006
United States of America
Humberto Padilla Gonzalez is an associate in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Padilla Gonzalez's practice consists primarily of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, structured finance, and real estate. Among other things, Mr. Padilla assists clients in various matters ranging from complex financial and cross-border and domestic M&A transactions, investments by private equity funds, and internal compliance investigations (FCPA) and data privacy issues to simple operational matters throughout Latin America.
From Houston, Mr. Padilla Gonzalez is part of our cross-practice Global Workforce team that provides integrated cross-border advice, counseling, and strategic planning across the spectrum of labor, employment, benefits, and immigration issues.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Padilla Gonzalez worked for the U.S.-based foreign practice group of an international law firm based in New York, representing U.S. and European clients with interests in Latin America. Prior to that, he worked at one of the leading law firms in Mexico City. Mr. Padilla Gonzalez is a native speaker of Spanish and fluent in English.
Mr. Padilla Gonzalez earned his LL.M. from the University of Texas School of Law in 2006 and his law degree from Universidad Panamericana in 2001.
Mr. Padilla Gonzalez is admitted to practice in Texas, New York, and Mexico.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
- Assisted Integradora de Servicios Petroleros Oro Negro, S.A.P.I. de C.V., an integrated and diversified Mexican oil field services company, in its acquisition of Todco Mexico, Inc. and its subsidiary Servicios Todco, S. de R.L. de C.V. for an aggregate consideration of approximately $36 million.
- Represented a U.S. public company and one of the world's largest wire and cable companies in the acquisition of a majority interest in a privately-owned Colombian manufacturer of cable and wire products, for total consideration of $45 million.
- Represented one of the largest network data services companies in connection with its acquisition of a controlling stake in a listed company on the Colombia Stock Exchange and a leading Latin American credit services information provider, for an aggregate offer price of approximately $400 million.
- Advised a leading real estate private equity fund in the structuring and operation of its investment of more than $1 billion in real estate joint ventures in Latin America (Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Peru).
- Assisted the Mexican government in connection with a Chapter 11 reorganization of Mexico's satellite company Satélites Mexicanos SA de C.V. (Satmex) (Reorganized for a 2011 Latin Lawyer Deal of the Year award).
- Assisted one of the largest oil and gas companies with the structuring of a proposed transaction involving the provision of cross-border pipeline capacity and management of energy sales with respect to a mixed power plant to be constructed in northern Mexico.
- Advised a leading health organization in connection with proposed financing and construction of a cancer treatment pediatric clinic in Mexico.
- Participated in the structuring and implementation of several global public offerings (debt and capital markets) under Mexican securities laws, Rule 144A, and Regulation S for an aggregate amount of approximately $10.2 billion during the last five years, representing U.S., Mexican, and international underwriters.
- Participated in the structuring and implementation of a $682 million financing for a 750 mw hydroelectric power project in Mexico, which included a Rule 144A placement of $230 million and a syndicated loan of $452 million.
- Advised Mexican branches of three major U.S. banks in connection with, among other things, regulatory compliance and secured and unsecured lending transactions of various degrees of complexity.
- Assessed Mexican antitrust implications and obtained clearance from the Mexican antitrust authorities in connection with the acquisition of a major pharmaceutical company in Mexico by an European pharmaceutical holding company.
- Represented several banks and investment entities in a series of project finance/short-term loans granted to Mexican contractors for Petróleos Mexicanos (Pemex) and the Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE) projects. Prepared the security packages in connection therewith.
- Represented a number of U.S. and European companies in connection with the incorporation of their Mexican subsidiaries. Rendered legal advice on corporate, commercial, and foreign investment law matters.
- Participated in the acquisition of one of Central America's leading financial groups—with operations in El Salvador, Panama, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Honduras—by a leading worldwide bank.
- University of Texas School of Law, 2006, LL.M.
- Universidad Panamericana, 2001, Law Degree