honors + affiliations
Member, American Bar Association
Member, New York City Bar Association
Chair, Committee on Nuclear Technology and Law (1982–1985)
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, Federal Energy Bar Association
Member, International Bar Association
Chair, Dean’s Advisory Board, George Washington University Law School
Trustee, The Peddie School, Highstown, NJ
Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2010–2012)
Listed, Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012)
- New York
Douglas E. Davidson is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Davidson focuses his practice on energy finance and regulation, international project finance, corporate and securities law, and acquisitions and divestitures. His clients include investor-owned utilities, independent power producers, private equity firms, and underwriting firms.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Davidson was a partner at a national law firm, where he was managing partner of the New York office and co-head of the corporate and securities practice.
Mr. Davidson received his J.D., summa cum laude, from George Washington University Law School in 1971, where was editor-in-chief of the Law Review. He received his B.S.F.S. from Georgetown University in 1968.
Mr. Davidson is admitted to practice in New York.
Note: This list includes deals that were not completed at Morgan Lewis.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of multiple wind and solar projects.
- Served as counsel to seller in US$634 million auction sale of IPP portfolio to private equity buyer.
- Represented client in a multibillion-dollar restructuring of electric utility holding company's fossil and nuclear generation assets.
- Served as counsel to Long Island Power Authority in a multibillion-dollar operating agreement procurement and power supply contract.
- Represented client in acquisitions of various thermal electric and wind power generating facilities totaling more than 1500 MW.
- Served as regulatory counsel to an electric utility holding company in a US$3.2 billion merger transaction.
- Represented an electric utility holding company in the sale of its IPP development subsidiary.
- Represented an electric utility holding company and its subsidiaries in the auction sale of 4100 MW of fossil and hydroelectric generating stations consisting of 26 stations and future development sites in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland for US$1.7 billion.
- Represented an electric utility company in the joint auction sale of the 1884 MW Homer City coal-fired station for US$900 million.
- Represented the electric utility owners in the sale of the 986 MW Three Mile Island Unit 1 Nuclear Generating Station and the 610 NW Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station to AmerGen Energy.
- Represented an electric utility company in the sale of its 610 MW Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station to AmerGen Energy, including the related power purchase, interconnection, and ancillary agreements.
- Served as counsel to underwriters of US$1.3 billion sale/leaseback debt financing.
- Served as underwriters' counsel to U.S. electric utilities in more than US$10 billion of capital market equity and debt sales.
- Represented client in U.S. export-import bank project and export credit financing of more than US$400 million.
- Represented various electric utilities in sales of more than US$3 billion of senior notes under a "fall away" mortgage structure, securitized transition bonds, secured and unsecured medium-term notes, pollution control bonds, and establishment of nuclear fuel lease financing programs.
- Represented an electric utility holding company in the joint acquisition and £1.7 billion financing (debt and equity) through a public tender offer of the Midlands Electricity plc regional electric company in the UK.
- Represented client in acquisition of a minority interest in a Brazilian electric transmission company.
- Represented client in acquisition of a minority interest in a 225 MW generating facility in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Represented client in the disposition of three Argentinean electric distribution companies and related foreign debt restructurings.
- Represented a utility affiliate in the joint venture development, construction, financing, and the subsequent sale of a 226 MW gas-fired generating station in Forteleza, Brazil.
- Represented a utility affiliate in the joint venture development and financing of a water supply project in Chile.
- Represented a utility affiliate in the restructuring of a US$325 million U.S. export-import bank and overseas private investment corporation financing for a 780 MW power project in Colombia.
- United States counsel for the restructuring and initial public offering of GasNet Australia Trust.
- Represented an electric utility holding company in the sale of GPU PowerNet to Singapore Power Limited for Aus$2.1 billion.
- Represented an electric utility holding company in the acquisition for Aus$1.050 billion of the Transmission Pipelines Australia gas transmission system from the State of Victoria, Australia, and the related acquisition and equity financing.
- Represented an electric utility holding company in the acquisition for Aus$2.555 billion of the PowerNet Victoria electric transmission system from the State of Victoria, Australia and the related acquisition and equity financing.
- George Washington University Law School, 1971, J.D., Summa Cum Laude
- Georgetown University, 1968, B.S.F.S.