honors + affiliations
Listed, Chambers Europe: Europe's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012)
Listed, Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012)
Legend Business Center
Tsvetnoy Bulvar, 2
Moscow 127051 Russian Federation
Phone: +7 495 212 2534
Fax: +7 495 212 2400
Alexander Marchenko is an associate Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Marchenko advises clients on corporate transactions with an emphasis on upstream oil and gas and mining and metals. His experience includes onshore and offshore acquisitions and divestitures of exploration and production assets, including related financing and parent guarantees; acquirer's and vendor's due diligence investigations; negotiating relevant sale-and-purchase, shareholders', and other types of agreements; amendment and reissuance of exploration and production licenses; and other upstream investment arrangements and activities. Mr. Marchenko also has experience advising clients on upstream projects in Turkmenistan.
Mr. Marchenko has a wide range of corporate experience advising on mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy, and general corporate and commercial matters in other business sectors.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Marchenko was an associate in the corporate practice of another international law firm, resident in Moscow.
Mr. Marchenko earned his LL.M. from the University of Toronto Faculty of Law in 2002 and graduated from Moscow State Law Academy, Russia in 2000. He graduated, with honors, from Moscow State Linguistic University, Russia in 1994. Mr. Marchenko is a native Russian speaker and fluent in English.
Mr. Marchenko is eligible to practice in the Russian Federation.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
- Assisting Statoil on a new large-scale E&P venture with Rosneft involving offshore blocks in the Barents and Okhotsk Seas.
- Assisting Itera, one of Russian leading independent gas producers, on its proposed strategic joint venture with a major Russian oil & gas company.
- Assisting Statoil on the major Shtokman offshore gas field development and LNG project, together with Gazprom and Total, in the Russian sector of the Barents Sea.
- Assisting a major French state power and utilities company in its proposed farm-in into one of Russia's major LNG projects.
- Advised Bashneft (and its controlling shareholder AFK Sistema) on the formation of its joint venture with Lukoil to develop the large Trebs-Titov field complex in the Nenets Autonomous Okrug; follow-up advice on the subsoil licensing issues of the JV.
- Assistance to Chevron, on a proposed large-scale E&P venture with Rosneft to develop a deepwater Russian Black Sea block.
- Advised Eni SpA on various aspects of its $5.8 billion acquisition at the 2007 Yukos assets bankruptcy auction of three gas and condensate producing companies in Russia and a 20% stake in Gazpromneft, follow-up support of this acquisition to date, and the 2009 sale of the Gazpromneft stake to Gazprom for $4.2 billion.
- Advised a major European energy company in its various upstream projects in Russia (including analysis of various non-equity structures).
- Assisted ArcelorMittal in its $720 million acquisition of a group of Eastern Siberia coal assets companies from Severstal of Russia.
- Represented a number of oil companies in their acquisition of various hydrocarbon interests in Russia over several years.
- Advised various clients on mineral resource regulatory aspects of public offerings, drafting relevant sections of public offering documents.
- Assisted various clients in preparation of various types of petroleum contracts with the Government of Turkmenistan-this work included assisting a major European company, a major Asian company, and various other companies in the drafting of their production-sharing agreements for various Turkmen fields, advising on other types of petroleum contracts in Turkmenistan, and advising on various ancillary matters.
- Assisted a major Russian bank in its various secured financing, corporate restructuring, and similar projects involving cross-jurisdictional advice.
- Provided ongoing legal support to a major steel and mining company in its various proposed acquisitions of producing and processing assets in Russia.
- Advised various clients (both in mineral resource and other sectors) on the newly enacted Russian laws restricting foreign investment in "strategic enterprises."
- Conducted extensive due diligence investigations into production companies and other corporate structures in Russia.
- University of Toronto Faculty of Law, 2002, LL.M.
- Moscow State Law Academy, Russia, 2000
- Moscow State Linguistic University, Russia, 1994, With Honors