Ranked "#1 Most Active Law Firm" globally, based on the number of funds worked on for limited partners, by Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst (2013)
Ranked, National Tier 1: Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, U.S. News and Best Lawyers (2012)
honors + affiliations
Listed, "Rising Star," Northern California Super Lawyer (2009 & 2010)
Listed, Investment Fund Formation and Management: Private Equity Funds in The US Legal 500 (2010, 2012)
Member, The State Bar Association of California
Member, The State Bar Association of New York
Member, The Business Law Panel of the Bar Association of San Francisco
- New York
- San Francisco
One Market, Spear Street Tower
San Francisco, CA 94105-1596
Paul C. McCoy is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice. Mr. McCoy focuses his practice on private investment funds of various types and structures, including funds of funds, funds sponsored or seeded by 501(c)(3) entities, corporate governance funds, venture capital funds, real estate funds, co-investment funds, private equity funds, hedge funds, and hybrid funds. The types of transactions that Mr. McCoy often handles are investments into private investment funds, formations of private investment funds, and the secondary sales of interests in private investment funds (whether individually or as a portfolio).
The following are some of Mr. McCoy's recent transactions:
- Represented a global fund of funds sponsor in the formation of a global secondary fund raising capital commitments in excess of $2 billion
- Represented a West Coast state government pension plan with respect to a £100 million direct infrastructure co-investment
- Represented a Midwestern state government pension plan with respect to an investment of over $1 billion simultaneously in a private equity fund of funds, real estate fund of funds, and venture capital fund of funds
- Represented a West Coast private foundation in the formation of a $60 million venture capital fund focused on making investments in healthcare companies in Africa
- Represented a Midwestern private foundation in the seeding of a $100 million venture capital fund focused on investing in technologies relating to education
- Represented an insurance company in connection with fundraising for its $1 billion real estate fund
- Represented a global investment bank in connection with its formation of multiple funds of funds aggregating in excess of $1 billion in capital commitments
- Represented a "super-angel" in connection with the formation of multiple venture capital funds
- Represented a regional bank in connection with a structured secondary sale of a portfolio of private investment fund interests aggregating in excess of $100 million
- Represented a West Coast state government pension plan with the restructuring of its $1.3 billion investment in a corporate governance fund
In addition to the large transactions noted above, Mr. McCoy represents clients focused on private investment funds of all sizes. Such clients comprise a diverse roster, ranging from a small seed venture capital fund to entities that are among the world's largest government pensions, private foundations, and funds of funds.
Mr. McCoy began his legal career practicing securities law in London representing issuers of publicly traded securities. He also has significant experience representing sellers and purchasers in venture capital financings. Prior to law school, Mr. McCoy worked as a financial analyst for three years at the U.S. Department of the Treasury. He is a contributing author to the two-volume treatise, Venture Capital & Public Offering Negotiation.
Mr. McCoy is admitted to practice in California and New York.
- University of Virginia School of Law, 1998, J.D. (Law)
- James Madison University, 1992, B.B.A. (Finance)