On July 5, 2011, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and the Department of Energy (DOE) issued their joint Implementation Proposal for the National Action Plan on Demand Response. The proposal complies with section 529 of the Energy Independent and Security Act of 2007 (EISA).
The implementation proposal identifies activities that can be undertaken to achieve the objectives set forth in EISA, including the following:
- Establish a national forum.
- Conduct informational and educational sessions for policy makers and regulators.
- Sponsor technical papers.
- Provide technical assistance to states for demand response.
- Build a panel of demand response experts.
- Establish a demand response grant program.
- Develop a communications umbrella.
- Advise and support states and localities on communications best practices.
- Reach out to states, policymakers, and partners directly.
- Develop a web-based clearinghouse of demand response materials.
- Develop or enhance demand response estimation tools and methods.