Building a diverse team of attorneys is a core value at Morgan Lewis, and part of our strategic focus. We are a firm that emphasizes teamwork and collegiality; we value the differences in experience and outlook that our legal and nonlegal staff bring to the firm. We draw upon the strengths of knowledgeable and skilled individuals who represent a variety of viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds.
Our firm's chair, Jami Wintz McKeon, and former chair, Francis M. Milone, drive our efforts to create a welcoming environment where anyone with talent and energy can succeed. Their support, together with the support of others in firm management, make our efforts real and substantial.
Four examples illustrate this:
- Founded in 2003, the firm’s diversity committee actively promotes diversity and inclusion initiatives across the firm. Working with the chair and other leaders across the firm, the diversity committee co-chairs, Grace E. Speights and Larry L. Turner, develop specific initiatives and overall diversity strategy. The co-chairs meet regularly with attorneys and staff throughout the firm—including focused discussions with minority, women, and LGBT attorneys—to generate ideas and to keep everyone informed of our activities and goals.
- The firm measures partners on their individual commitment to enhancing diversity in their practice areas and across the firm as part of our annual Upward Review program. We ensure success by holding our attorneys accountable.
- The firm hosts an Attorneys of Color Meeting, bringing together firm leaders, partners, associates, and senior management to discuss diversity as it relates to daily life at the firm and to our clients' needs.
- The firm's 2007 Annual Partner Meeting focused on the topic of diversity. There can be no clearer message to the firm and its partners and staff about the importance of diversity. Few firms, if any, can claim to have demonstrated this level of commitment across the partnership.
Morgan Lewis is fortunate to have received several important diversity awards:
- The Human Rights Campaign Foundation gave Morgan Lewis a 100% score on its Corporate Equality Index.
- The firm was named one of the "Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity" by MultiCultural Law Magazine (2012).
- The Hispanic National Bar Association recognized Morgan Lewis with its Presidential Award for Advocacy (2009) and its Corporate Partner of the Year award (2007).
These awards are meaningful to our attorneys and staff who work hard to achieve a positive and productive work environment.
Building a diverse work environment begins with recruiting from a broad pool of candidates. Whether you are a law student intrigued by our summer program, a practicing attorney eager to make a difference in the world, or a staff candidate looking for a fresh challenge, Morgan Lewis has a place for you. Apply today!