A new set of amendments to the Kazakhstan personal data protection and informatization laws introducing dedicated state body, new services, and terminology came into force on 7 July 2020.
- Introduction of a definition and authorities of a [unified, centralized] state body dedicated to personal data protection. Presumably, this will be the Ministry for Digital Development, Innovations and Aerospace Industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan or a committee thereof.
- Introduction of a new government service that will ensure security of personal data. This service will be used, for instance, to obtain a data proprietor’s consent for processing of personal data. We understand that this new service will be implemented through the current electronic government platform via data proprietors’ mobile phone numbers.
- Introduction of cyberinsurance as a new type of voluntary insurance.
- Legal entities (owners and operators) should appoint a person responsible for organization of personal data processing.
- New rules for the collection and processing of personal data will be promulgated (draft not yet available).
In addition, new terminology was introduced to various informatization-related laws, e.g., blockchain, digital asset, digital mining, and digital token. We will issue a separate alert dedicated to this matter.
If you have any questions or would like more information on the issues discussed in this LawFlash, please contact any of the following Morgan Lewis lawyers: