honors + affiliations
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
Listed, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2006–2007)
Listed, The Best Lawyers in America (2007–2011)
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
One Federal Street
Boston, MA 02110-1726
Jonathan K. Bernstein is a partner in Morgan Lewis’s Business and Finance Practice. Mr. Bernstein focuses his practice on general corporate finance, including debt financings, structured financings, workouts, and bankruptcies.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Mr. Bernstein was a partner in and co-chair of the banking and leveraged finance group at an international law firm.
Mr. Bernstein received his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1987 and his B.A., summa cum laude, from Brandeis University in 1984.
Mr. Bernstein is admitted to practice in Massachusetts and Connecticut and before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
Public Workouts and Restructurings
- Represented the syndicate agents and lenders in the cross-border workouts and bankruptcies of two NHL franchises and related arena facilities.
- Represented the syndicate agent and lenders in the workout and bankruptcy of a petroleum refinery and its affiliates, the majority operator of retail gas stations in Puerto Rico and related tank farm and transportation facilities.
- Represented the syndicate agent and lenders in the workout and bankruptcy of one of the largest financiers and business credit providers to owners and operators of medical diagnostic facilities and related medical services.
- Represented the syndicate agent and lenders in the workout and restructuring of credit facilities to the largest provider of lease and other financing for "micro-ticket" equipment.
- Counsel to the syndicate agent and lenders in the workout and bankruptcy of a manufacturer and supplier to the semiconductor and aviation businesses.
- Counsel to the syndicate agent and lenders in the workout and bankruptcy of the leading manufacturer and distributor of league-licensed sports and athletic apparel.
- Counsel to the U.S. lender in the restructuring of cross-border credit facilities to a worldwide leading manufacturer and supplier to the cable and wire industry.
- Counsel to the senior lenders in the workout and bankruptcy of a multibillion-dollar conglomerate engaged in energy production, aviation services, and entertainment.
Private Workouts and Restructurings
- Counsel to the syndicate agent and lenders in the workout of credit facilities to a national retail catalog sales organization of high-end domestic goods.
- Counsel to the syndicate agent and lenders in the workout of a multibillion-dollar construction business operating across the United States and one of the largest contractors for civil construction jobs on the East Coast.
- Counsel to the syndicate agent and lenders in the workout and restructuring of one of the largest facilities maintenance companies in North America and a related captive insurer.
- Counsel to the lender in the workout and restructuring of one of the largest independent U.S. providers of dining, vending, and office refreshment services.
- Counsel to a group of lenders in the workout and restructuring of a group of U.S. television stations focusing on Hispanic audiences and markets.
- Counsel to a consortium of insurance company lenders in the workout of a European-based asset management firm.
Public Company Financings
- Counsel to the syndicate agent and lenders in the senior secured financing as part of the leveraged recapitalization of a global manufacturer of advanced structural composite materials—including structural adhesives—and a major worldwide supplier to the aircraft industry.
- Counsel to the syndicate agent and lenders in the senior secured financing of a transportation and logistics company providing nationwide operator truckload operations and transportation services.
- Counsel to the syndicate agent and lenders in the acquisition financing for the joint purchase of the life insurance operations of a national insurance company by two holding companies for $1.35 billion.
- Borrower's counsel to a publicly held REIT in multiple debt facilities, including globally syndicated bank financings and note issuances.
General Corporate Representations
- Primary outside counsel to a professional football club and its ownership and affiliates.
- Primary outside counsel to New England's largest regional-based providers of in-rigging, heavy hauling, and crane rental services.
- Primary outside counsel to a producer of precast, prestressed concrete building systems, including parking structures, bridges, concrete, and composite piles.
- Primary outside counsel to the leading producer of ready-mix concrete in the southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island area.
- Primary outside counsel to a wholesale provider to convenience stores located in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Vermont.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1987, J.D., Cum Laude
- Brandeis University, 1984, B.A., Summa Cum Laude