Ranked "#1 Most Active Law Firm" globally, based on the number of private equity funds worked on for limited and general partners, by Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst (2013)
Ranked, National Tier 1: Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, U.S. News and Best Lawyers (2013)
Ranked, National Tier 1: Securities/Capital Markets Law, U.S. News and Best Lawyers (2013)
Ranked, Band 2: Investment Fund Formation and Management: Mutual/Registered Funds in The U.S. Legal 500 (2013)
Ranked, Band 2: Financial Services Regulation: Broker-Dealer Regulation in Chambers USA (2013)
Ranked, Band 3: Investment Funds: Registered Funds in Chambers USA (2013)
honors + affiliations
Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2006–2014)
Listed, Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers (2011–2013)
Listed, Investment Fund Formation and Management: Alternative/Hedge Funds in The US Legal 500 (2009–2014)
Listed, "Guide to the World's Leading Investment Funds Lawyers," International Financial Law Review/Expert Guides (2008)
Listed, New York Super Lawyers (2007–2009, 2011)
Editorial Board Member, The Journal of Investment Compliance
Member, Private Investment Funds Forum
Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Private Investment Funds
Member, American Bar Association
Board Member, New York Advisory Board of Facing History and Ourselves
Member, Order of the Coif
- New York
- New York
101 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10178-0060
United States of America
Jedd H. Wider is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Business and Finance Practice and a member of the firm’s Private Investment Funds Practice. Mr. Wider concentrates his practice in the structuring and formation of and investment in international and domestic private investment funds, particularly global hedge funds, private equity funds, secondary funds, real estate funds, mezzanine debt funds, venture capital funds and funds-of-funds and in the subsequent representation of these funds in their investment activities. He represents many of the world's leading financial institutions and investment banks as well as financial boutiques in their roles as sponsors, placement agents, and investment entities. He also has an extensive background in complex financial structurings and transactions and joint ventures.
Mr. Wider's views on the hedge fund and private equity fund industries and capital markets are frequently sought by members of the international media. His analysis can be found in publications such as The Wall Street Journal, The Economist and the Financial Times, as well as on television networks such as Bloomberg and CNN. Mr. Wider also regularly lectures and serves as a panelist on private investment fund topics for trade programs and organizations. Recent speaking engagements include presentations to the Lazard Capital Markets Hedge Fund Conference: "The Changing Landscape of Investing in Single Manager Strategies," Hedge Fund Institutional Forum, Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst Limited Partners Summit, Endowments & Foundations Roundtable, Association of Life Insurance Counsel, National Association of Public Pension Fund Attorneys (NAPPA), West Legalworks, the Third Annual Euromoney Summit of European Hedge Funds in London, the Capital Roundtable New York Conference: Fundless Equity Sponsors - How to Raise a Dedicated Private Equity or Mezzanine Fund, the American College of Investment Counsel, the On Point Investor & Hedge Fund Risk Summit, the New Frontiers in Hedge Fund Due Diligence Conference, the Wharton Private Equity and Venture Capital Conference, and Infovest21's The Real Story on Hedge Fund Fees (and Terms) Conference.
Mr. Wider is listed in The US Legal 500, Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers, and Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. He was named by Chambers as one of the leading hedge fund lawyers in the United States and in the world.
Mr. Wider is an editor of the Morgan Lewis Hedge Fund Deskbook: Legal and Practical Guide for a New Era, published by Thomson Reuters/West, and has published numerous articles, including:
- July 2013, "Recent SEC ‘Bad Actor' Provisions For Hedge Funds, Private Equity Funds, Could Unearth Unethical Backgrounds Of Executives: Securities Lawyers," International Business Times
- July 2013, "Hedge Funds Stay Quiet After Regulators Approve Advertising, Even As Experts Speculate About Advent Of Ads," International Business Times
- November/December 2010, "A New Paradigm for Hedge Fund, Captive Fund, and Managed Account Terms and Conditions: A Step Toward Greater Alignment," Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions
- December 2007, "The Tipping Point: The Hedge Fund Investor’s Struggle for Legal Balance," The Investment Lawyer
- Winter 2006, "The Investment Advisers Act: The Need For Clarity In The Post-Goldstein Era," The Journal of Investment Compliance
- September 2006, “In the Twilight of Liberalization,” Private Equity Manager
- December 2005/January 2006, "Shifting the Hedge Fund Balance: Institutional Investor Issues and Concerns," Bloomberg Law Reports
- Fall 2005, "Enhancing a Mature Investment Program: Customizing the Captive Hedge Fund," The Journal of Investment Compliance
- September 2004, "Read This Before You Spin Out," Private Equity Manager
- Spring 2004, "Hedge Funds: In the Wake of the SEC Staff Report," The Journal of Investment Compliance
- Summer 2003, "Hedge Funds: The Regulatory Landscape at a Crossroads," The Journal of Investment Compliance
- 2002-2003, "Formation and Operation of a Hedge Fund in Today’s Market," European Single Financial Market
Mr. Wider is an editorial board member of The Journal of Investment Compliance. He served as a law clerk to Judge Nicholas H. Politan of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey and to U.S. Attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani of the Southern District of New York.
Mr. Wider received his J.D., cum laude, from Tulane Law School in 1992 and was named to the Order of the Coif and admitted to the National Order of Barristers. He received his A.B. from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University in 1989. He speaks English and French.
Mr. Wider is admitted to practice in New York.
- Tulane University Law School, 1992, J.D., Cum Laude
- Princeton University, 1989, A.B.