Ranked, National Tier 1: Biotechnology Law by U.S. News and Best Lawyers (2010–2012)
Recommended for patent prosecution by LMG Life Sciences (2014)
honors + affiliations
Recognized as an "IP Star" by Managing IP guide published by Euromoney's Legal Media Group (2013)
Member, Industry Advisory Board, National Brain Tumor Society (2013-present)
Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Member, Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
Member, Licensing Executives Society
Member, Benjamin Franklin American Inn of Court, Philadelphia Intellectual Property Chapter
1701 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2921
Louis W. Beardell, Jr. is a partner in Morgan Lewis's Intellectual Property Practice. Mr. Beardell's practice focuses on intellectual property matters in connection with transactions, strategy, and litigation across several industries. He has experience with life science companies, particularly biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, and food science companies; venture capital funds; and chemical companies. He has counseled clients on patents, patent due diligence, and patent validity and freedom to operate opinions; developed patent strategies; managed patent portfolios; and handled trade secrets matters.
Mr. Beardell has negotiated and prepared licensing and purchase agreements, product and service supply agreements, collaboration agreements, research agreements, consulting agreements, patent litigation settlement agreements, and material transfer agreements with domestic and international clients.
Mr. Beardell also has experience representing financial services companies in establishing IP programs to protect inventions through patents and trade secrets. He has procured business method patents, and evaluated patent validity and freedom to operate positions for computer and business method inventions.
Mr. Beardell frequently lectures on intellectual property topics in international, national, and regional intellectual property and business associations. He also lectures in top law school and business school intellectual property and entrepreneur classes.
Mr. Beardell is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Established and implemented intellectual property programs for many small, medium-size, and multinational companies
- Chiesi Farmaceutici SpA in its acquisition of all outstanding shares of Cornerstone Therapeutics Inc., valuing Cornerstone at about $255 million
- Piper Jaffray & Co. and Leerink Swann LLC in the $30 million initial public offering of Tengion, Inc.
- Smiths Interconnect, a division of firm client Smiths Group plc, in its purchase of Interconnect Devices Inc. from an investor group led by private equity firm Milestone Partners for approximately $185 million
- Kraft Foods in its sale of its Balance Bar Company to private equity firm Brynwood Partners
- K-Tron International, Inc. in its sale to Hillenbrand, Inc. for $150 per share in cash, resulting in an aggregate purchase price of $435 million
- LEO Pharma in its reacquisition of Warner Chilcott's exclusive product licensing rights in the United States, as well as rights to all products in LEO Pharma's development pipeline
- Adolor Corporation in connection with its exclusive worldwide collaboration with Pfizer
- Enzon, Inc. in its acquisition of the North American rights to Abelcet, an antifungal used to treat patients with invasive fungal infections related to cancer, organ transplantation and other conditions
- Sekisui Chemical Company (a subsidiary of Sekisui America Corporation) in the $25.5 million purchase of American Diagnostica Inc.
- ViroPharma in its global collaboration and licensing agreement for the subcutaneous combination of Cinryze® (C1 esterase inhibitor [human]) with Halozyme Therapeutics' recombinant human hyaluronidase enzyme (rHuPH20) EnhanzeTM technology
- GSI Commerce on its $2.4 billion acquisition by eBay
- Temple University School of Law, 1995, J.D. (Finance Concentration)
- University of Pittsburgh, 1991, M.B.A.
- University of Rochester, 1987, B.S.C.H.E. (Chemical Engineering)