honors + affiliations
Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012–2013)
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
Member, Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
225 Franklin Street, 16th Floor
Boston, MA 02110-4104
United States of America
Sula R. Fiszman is a partner in Morgan Lewis’s Business and Finance Practice. Ms. Fiszman represents a wide variety of financial institutions, private equity funds, and other companies.
Ms. Fiszman’s finance practice concentrates on complex senior secured finance transactions, subordinated and second lien lending transactions, workouts, and bankruptcies. She has managed transactions across a broad range of industries including media and communications, restaurants, food and beverage, independent oil and gas exploration, oil and gas refining and distribution, retail service station operations, convenience store chains, and manufacturing. Ms. Fiszman also regularly represents private equity funds and their portfolio companies in connection with their various financing needs, often in the context of merger and acquisition transactions. Ms. Fiszman also has experience with complex cross-border structured finance transactions and derivative transactions.
Prior to joining Morgan Lewis, Ms. Fiszman was a partner in the banking and leveraged finance group of an international law firm.
Ms. Fiszman has presented seminars and published articles on commercial lending transactions, including the basic elements of financing transactions, loan agreements, and the negotiation of intercreditor and subordinated debt terms.
Ms. Fiszman received her J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 1984; her M.A. from the University of Chicago in 1981; and her B.A., with highest honors, from the University of Chicago in 1979, where she graduated Phi Beta Kappa.
Ms. Fiszman is admitted to practice in Massachusetts and before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining Morgan Lewis.
- Represented a major U.S. bank in connection with the acquisition of a portfolio of loans from a finance company.
- Represented a major U.S. bank in connection with a variety of secured syndicated loans to restaurant operating companies and franchisees of national dining chains.
- Represented a major financial institution in connection with the termination of a $2 billion repurchase agreement with one of the bankrupt Lehman entities.
- Represented a major South African bank in connection with a $2 billion investment and forward sale transaction with a major U.S. financial institution.
- Represented a publicly owned South African corporation that is a distributor of light equipment with an investment in a U.S. limited partnership and a forward sale transaction for the repurchase of that investment.
- Represented a major shareholder of a dental service company in connection with a stock acquisition and an $80 million private placement debt offering.
- Represented a second lien lender in connection with a loan to a furniture manufacturer and the subsequent sale of notes.
- Represented a lead lender and arranger in connection with the structuring and documentation of $125 million of senior secured and subordinated unsecured indebtedness for a restaurant chain.
- Represented $250 million of public bondholders of a provider of subsea, trenching, and marine support vessels in connection with a debt-to-equity conversion and new financing in a Chapter 11 restructuring.
- Represented $1.4 billion of public bondholders of a Norwegian seismic company in its multinational restructuring.
- Represented bondholders of a silverware/flatware, dinnerware, drinkware, and kitchenware retailer in its restructuring.
- Represented an administrative agent, lead arrangers, and lenders in connection with a $1.025 billion financing (with a $675 million accordion feature) of a public radio, television, and print media company in conjunction with a $350 million bond issuance.
- Represented an administrative agent and lead lender in connection with a $200 million secured financing controlled by a borrowing base of an oil and gas trading company.
- Represented an administrative agent and lead lender in connection with a $57.5 million secured financing of a restaurant and entertainment corporation.
- Represented a lender in connection with the purchase of $41.5 million in secured senior subordinated notes due 2008 issued by a pizza operating and franchising company.
- Represented an administrative agent and lead lender in connection with a $60 million “going private” transaction for a national restaurant chain.
- Represented numerous borrowers, ranging from small companies with simple capital structures to larger companies with complex capital structures, in connection with the negotiation and documentation of finance facilities.
- Harvard Law School, 1984, J.D., Cum Laude
- University of Chicago, 1981, M.A.
- University of Chicago, 1979, B.A., With Highest Honors