honors + affiliations
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
Member, Sedona Conference Working Group on eDiscovery
Recipient, Yellow Belt, Legal Lean Sigma®
- New Jersey
Scott A. Milner is a partner in Morgan Lewis’s eData Practice. As one of the original attorneys in the eData Practice, Mr. Milner’s practice focuses on representing companies in all areas of electronic discovery and information governance. This includes developing tailored strategies and discovery management plans for clients and firm attorneys, with an emphasis on electronic discovery. These responsibilities have included conducting and advising on all phases of discovery, such as the preservation, collection, review, and production of large volumes of electronically stored information (ESI).
Mr. Milner’s experience includes:
- Partnering with in-house legal counsel, technology and records-management departments, and outside technology vendors to develop and implement best practices.
- Participating in 26(f) conferences and negotiating ESI agreements and stipulations addressing scope of preservation; detailing data not reasonably accessible; and conducting and advising on collection methodology, search and retrieval methodology, FRE 502(d) orders, and production specifications.
- Serving as eDiscovery liaison in jurisdictions across the United States
- Negotiating discovery protocols with several government agencies including the DOJ, SEC, FTC, DOL, CPSC, OIG, and numerous state U.S. Attorneys’ Offices.
- Negotiating technology-assisted review protocols.
- Handling motions practice related to discovery disputes.
- Developing internal and external discovery guidelines addressing each phase of the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM), including templates for a global technology company and global logistics and shipping company.
eData is an innovative practice founded by Morgan Lewis to address the impact of electronic data on business and legal strategies. eData helps clients meet increasingly demanding regulatory and legal requirements with cost-effective prelitigation risk management, eDiscovery consulting, and document review.
The eData Practice plays a large role in defending clients in corporate matters, including product liability, mass torts, antitrust, M&A, regulatory, white collar, compliance, construction, insurance coverage, and complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Milner is a frequent author and speaker at CLEs, seminars, and webcasts addressing eDiscovery issues, including case law updates, best practices, and practice pointers for key phases of the EDRM; and addressing key trends in eDiscovery such as Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), technology-assisted review, social media, cloud computing, and ABA ethics rule changes as well as the proposed amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
Mr. Milner received his J.D., cum laude, from Villanova University School of Law in 2002. He is a recipient of the Presidential Recognition Award and was inducted into the Florida Blue Key Leadership Honorary.
Mr. Milner is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Villanova University School of Law, 2002, J.D., Cum Laude
- University of Florida, 1998, B.A.