Olivier Chambord, energy transactions partner co-located in our London and Paris offices, recently moderated the West Africa panel at the 2015 Africa Assembly, which included representatives of Chevron, Total, Noble Energy, Oando, and First E&P.
The Africa Assembly, run by the Oil & Gas Council, is Africa’s largest oil and gas investment and finance meeting in Europe and was attended by more than 700 delegates from 58 countries. Energy transactions partners Lewis Jones and Mathew Kidwell were also in attendance.
The West Africa panel looked at trends, developments, and opportunities within the region. Some of the key points raised during the discussion included the following:
- What makes West Africa attractive for a variety of oil companies, and how it fits in their asset portfolios going forward
- The effect of low oil prices on projects in the region and if the panelists’ anticipate mergers and acquisitions, asset disposals and acquisitions, joint ventures, and farm-in interest in this region in the near future
- Local content requirements and the emergence and rise of indigenous companies in West Africa
Olivier was accompanied on the panel by the following presenters:
- Ken Sample | Vice President, Frontier Exploration and Appraisal, Chevron Africa and Latin America
- Susan Cunningham | EVP, Exploration, New Ventures, Frontier, Business Innovation, Noble Energy
- Olatuwon Candide-Johnson | General Counsel & GM Management Services; Chief Compliance Officer, Total E&P Nigeria Ltd
- Pade Durotoye | CEO, Oando Energy Resources
- Ademola Adeyemi–Bero | Managing Director, First E&P